Amplification should be required equipment for AV-710!
Jan 28, 2005 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys

I got an AV-710 a little while back during the big initial craze and having plugged it directly into my HD497s, I wasn't terribly impressed. It crackled frequently during playback, and the sound was bassless, harsh, and unsatisfying.

I just finished my first CMoy and all I can say is WOW. The difference is night and day with this little amp. The bass filled out and has actual PUNCH now and the highs are a lot more relaxed, almost to a fault. But, then again I like gobs of highs.
biggrin.gif

Just my two cents to everyone out there thinking about getting an AV-710 who doesn't have an amp. Spending a few bucks on a CMoy makes a WORLD of difference!

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
i'm pretty wow'd with my av710 unamped, but i have an a900. and i went from bottom of the barrel headphones. but i already ordered an amp, so i'll see what happens.

Wow, an amp would REALLY help those A900's. You're about to learn why those are considered basshead phones. I miss my pair.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porksoda
Hey guys

I got an AV-710 a little while back during the big initial craze and having plugged it directly into my HD497s, I wasn't terribly impressed. It crackled frequently during playback, and the sound was bassless, harsh, and unsatisfying.

[size=xx-large]EXACTLY X99999999[/size]

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
[size=xx-large]EXACTLY X99999999[/size]

well now it's gonna be impossible to try to con you out of your 710...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
they are fine unamped.

i'd say your exaggerating alot

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup and why you think this way. Though I disagree that a Cmoy made that HUGE of a difference, something like a PPA can really make hard to drive headphones shine on a 710.

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I've done a lot of listening to my 710 unamped to my A900. Overall I'd say the sound is a good bit thinner, but it is not overly terrible - it was fine playing HL2 that way, and it didn't sound just obviously distorted. Also A900s are surprisingly efficient - they're usually louder than my ER-4S at the same volume setting. Or Etys are just inefficient. In any case it was obvious that the 710 didn't completely fail when driving the A900.

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 10
my setup is ms1's plugged straight into my av710. The slider only needs to be about a quarter of the way up to for my preferrred listening level. If I put the volume on full it hurts my ears, but it is simply louder, theres no clipping or anything

i plan to get a meta42 mint amp soon
cool.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jum
my setup is ms1's plugged straight into my av710. The slider only needs to be about a quarter of the way up to for my preferrred listening level. If I put the volume on full it hurts my ears, but it is simply louder, theres no clipping or anything

i plan to get a meta42 mint amp soon
cool.gif

You will be absolutely blown away. I had the ms-1 for quite some time before obtaining an amp, and the difference was IMMENSE. The sound was no longer bass-anemic and fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back