Amplification for my HD595s
Jul 6, 2004 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

You guys have MADE me purchase my first pair of high-end headphones, upgrading from some dismal Bose TriPorts. Now, however, I am stuck with a bit more upgrading juice. A headphone amp sounded like a good place to start.

So, I am looking for something relatively cheap. I felt that the Gilmore Lite would do a great job making my cans sound better. However, I was wondering about this amp I saw called a CMOY. It looked great because it was portable, but it was signifigantly cheaper than any Gilmore Lite and it ran off of batteries, and not the wall power outlet.

Would buying a CMOY at all increase the sound quality or the volume of my cans? And of course, what advantages do I get with a Gilmore Lite over the CMOY?

Thanks!
Aman

Jul 6, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 6
Most here would probably argue the leap from a CMoy to a Gilmore Lite is pretty huge.

There are several things in the middle ground that would probably serve you better than a CMoy: various MINT-based boards, portable PIMETAs, a Headsave Vibe, a Xin SuperMini, SuperMicro, or SuperDual, or a Headroom Airhead or Total Airhead.

If you don't want something portable and battery-powered, you could go with a stationary PIMETA or a Headsave Classic.

Jul 6, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 6
I actually just found a Meta42. How would that sound paired with my HD595s? It appears they are portable and, from reading a review on this site, I can see that the reviewer loved how it pushed his HD580s much more forward (although, those are HD580s, the most relaxed cans ever).

How do you think, in your opinion, a Meta42 would sound with my headphones?

Thanks again!
Aman

EDIT: How does this look? http://www.jmtaudio.com/transportabl...e_amplifie.htm

Jul 6, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 6
A META42 or a JMT-built portable PIMETA should both be fine.

Jul 7, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, I am now actually looking between the Headsave Mint-Vibe and the JMT Transportable-PIEMTA.

I am looking at this because I don't have any more outlets to hook up to in my listening room. I already have way too many surge protectors and any more I could blow a fuse, I'm afraid. The Transportable-PIEMTA is much more money. It's a 100 dollar difference. Will this higher price gain me any more noticable differences?

I am really drawn into the whole 'built into a Penguin Mints tin' thing for the Mint-Vibe. It's pretty cool
icon10.gif
Again, I would really like to not have to plug this in. In fact, it's almost a necesity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back