amplification for Michaura
Jul 1, 2002 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jerikl

500+ Head-Fier
I posted on the Asylum too, but maybe some of you can help as well!

Okay, so I just picked up the Michaura m55's off of a uBid auction but don't have any kind of amplification. I've been doing some research on this board and others and am not sure where to go on this issue. I'll have two sources of audio, one being a DirectTV receiver and a DVD player that will be used for audio cd's as well. I also have another CD player that I *might* want to hook up through the chain, but right now it's serving as my source for my headphone setup (AMC CD8b -> ASL MG Head OTL -> Sennheiser HD600's).
So far, I've looked at a couple of different options. One being ASL Wave 8 monoblocks. I would need a preamp with this setup though and it's getting more expensive than I want it to be. If so though, I was thinking about the Creek OBH-12. I have a question about the Wave 8's though. There has to be some sort of volume control on the back of the amp, correct? I still would not be able to connect to sources though, which would not work.

Another option would be to just get a used integrated amplifier. I was looking around on Audiogon and found a couple in my price range (around $350 or so). This option would definitely be the easiest in terms of hooking everything up. How is the NAD line? Perhaps the NAD C350? You can get it for around $350 new... but how would it perform compared to the Wave 8's and Creek or my other option that I've been thinking about.

Which is, an old vintage integrated amplifier or receiver or whatever. I've heard that these old amplifiers (70's models) sound quite good and can be had for very cheap at Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales, EBay, etc. The only thing is... I have no idea what models are the ones to be looking for and need some guidance! I have done some searching so far and come up with a couple of things, like old Tannoy/Pioneer/Marantz/Sansui(?)/others but have not gotten into specific models and the like.

So the bottom line... I really don't want to spend over $400 or so on the rest of the setup (amp/preamp/whatever). I'm really intrigued with the Wave 8's and other preamp but I just don't know if I can find a good preamp that will fit in my budget. The integrated amplifier sounds nice because of easy hookups and will probably carry over to another set of speakers nicely, plus, I could add a tubed preamp later. And, well, the vintage gear sounds like fun hunting, but I would just like to know more about specific models and how they might compare to the other things I have listed.

Anyway, thanks for any help! I hope I provided enough information for you all to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Since you're interested in tube amps, go fo a Jolid integrated tube amp. On Audiogon.com you can get a well taken care of Jolida for the budget you're seeking. In this manner, you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Jolida, by the way, is a very well-respected tube amp mfgr.

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the Jolida recommendation TCO. I've heard of Jolida amps and know their name, but have never researched them or anything. Looks like a really sweet line of amps. I'll put them into consideration. Anyone have a JD-102B for cheap?
smily_headphones1.gif
I checked out Audiogon and found a 202A 40wpc for around $400. This is nice, but I'd rather spend a little less. Plus, I wouldn't mind having a remote.

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Also... I wonder how the MG Head w/upgraded tubes would sound as a preamp with the NAD C350? This is also something I'm thinking of.

Jul 2, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Have you taken a look at the Cambridge Audio line of integrateds? Audio Advisor has a demo A300 (50W/ch) for $219. No remote though...

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 8
I've also picked up a pair of these as my first step into the world of speakers. I am using the ASL 1005DTI with them.

I need suggestions for a low budget powered sub with variable
x-over. Any idea? Something smallish is preferable.

Jul 7, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Nice amp for those speakers darkclouds
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be powering mine with a NAD C350 integrated. Would like to try a tubed preamp later... I'll throw the MG Head in the chain to see how it performs.

darkclouds - I have a couple of questions for you. Do the speakers really need a sub that bad? If so, I'm interested in hearing responses to your question as well. Also, how are they working for you in general?

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Nice amp for those speakers darkclouds
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be powering mine with a NAD C350 integrated. Would like to try a tubed preamp later... I'll throw the MG Head in the chain to see how it performs.

darkclouds - I have a couple of questions for you. Do the speakers really need a sub that bad? If so, I'm interested in hearing responses to your question as well. Also, how are they working for you in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back