Amplification and volume with Sansa Clip+
Dec 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TRANCEJUNKIE

New Head-Fier
I am running a Sansa Clip+ at Max volume connected to a Schiit Magni amp with Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm headphones. I have the Magni at about 80% power to drive the headphones loud enough, but the amp does not appear to be any louder than my previous Fiio EO6 amp. I have been advised that the volume on the Magni is high because the Clip does not output much power. If this is the case, what what alternatives do I have?

Many thanks

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 10
I am running a Sansa Clip+ at Max volume connected to a Schiit Magni amp with Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm headphones. I have the Magni at about 80% power to drive the headphones loud enough, but the amp does not appear to be any louder than my previous Fiio EO6 amp. I have been advised that the volume on the Magni is high because the Clip does not output much power. If this is the case, what what alternatives do I have?

Many thanks

Is the volume on the Clip+ maxed out, or near max volume?
(check the settings)

Try installing the "Rockbox" firmware on to the Clip +.
It might(?) be able to boost the Clip+ output.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have the player at maximum volume. Do I need another source which will supply more power to the amp? I tried connecting my Tablet as a source and its the same scenario.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 10
There is definitely something wrong with the Magni. It should be able to power those headphones with ease, in fact, both the Clip and your tablet should be able to run it unamped perfectly fine.. Try plugging the headphones directly into the Clip.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi. The headphones are quieter when plugged directly to the clip, hence why I bought the amp. However, I can't understandunderstand why I have to raise the volume on the Magni so high? Especially as the amp can drive 600 ohm headphones! It is really frustrating me. Please help.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 10
I just had the same problem i was so frustrated XD   here is the solution :) 
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/No-more-High-setting-in-music-volume/m-p/143082#M32400

It's a legal thing.

Use the 'reset factory settings' option in system settings. For region choose something that isn't Europe.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 10
  I just had the same problem i was so frustrated XD   here is the solution :) 
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/No-more-High-setting-in-music-volume/m-p/143082#M32400

It's a legal thing.

Use the 'reset factory settings' option in system settings. For region choose something that isn't Europe.

Look for the next EU update to the Sansa clip, rubber baby buggy bumpers... sigh. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Hello and thanks for your replies.

I already have my clip+ set to 'Rest of the World' in the settings, which I believe to be the maximum volume output. I am also using settings 'Loud' with the GAIN set to 12dB. Is there a Desktop Audio Player available that will provide more power to the Magni Amp that can be run from the mains? It would have to play files like a portable player and have the funcionality also. Please help because I am tearing my hair out with this!

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Pretty much anything that isn't a portable player will have a better output (most desktop gear will use line-out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back