Amplication advice for newbie - basic questions
Dec 28, 2006 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

charliechan

New Head-Fier
First post on the forum and very new to the head-fi world. Apologize in advance for the long post. Hoping members could steer me in the right direction and also maybe explain a couple basic things with respect to setting up a headphone rig.

Briefly, decided in the last few weeks to add phones for a number of reasons, including for use in home recording, but also with the ancillary desire to have an alternative way to listen in the house without bothering my wife, whose office is in home. My research brought me here, and after spending some time lurking around, I ended up buying the Senn 580s through amazon as much discussed here. Feel like that's a choice I'll be very happy with.

For studio recording, I'm pretty much set. Now, reading reviews of the Senn's, I'm also licking my chops at the idea of stereo listening. Here's the issue:

My stereo system is an Integrated tube amp (Eastern Electric M520), with a Decware 685 (tube modified Sony) cd player and a Thorens 810 TT fed through an Eastern Electric phono stage. The cd player does not have a direct headphone connection - nor does the EE M520 integrated amp. What I do have is a tape out (RCAs) on the integrated.

Questions:

1. Is my best bet (and perhaps only way) to add a headphone amp to run ICs from the tape out to a headphone amp?
2. Dumb question, but what does that mean for volume control ... meaning, is it as simple as turning the volume on the integrated down all the way and simply controlling headphone volume through the headphone amp -- or is it not that simple or easy? Is the volume controlled solely by the integrated, leaving me with having to disable speakers, etc.?
3. Any recommendations for a headphone amp (needs to be relatively small size and fit in a pretty small space) under $250?
4. It appears that many of the recommended amps do not have separate RCA channel inputs, but instead a single input. Is this okay for my purposes, meaning, if I am feeding the headphone amp from the tape out of my amp are two inputs to the headpone amp necessary? Otherwise do I just end up with "mono" through my phones?

Sorry if these questions are rudimentary, but this is a whole new world for me. Thanks in advance for your help and (generally) for pointing me in the direction of the Senn 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back