Amping the X5?
Jul 11, 2007 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
I've been using the iAUDIO X5 30GB for a while now. I love the thing and don't plan on getting a new mp3 player any time soon. It powered my ATH-A700's great, but now I've got a DT880 120ohm and trying to use those straight out of the X5's HP out just... just no.

I've got a HeadAmp AE-1 on the way but what would be the best way to connect my X5 to it? I've seen VERY few iAUDIO line-out docks, and have heard that the LO isn't that great anyway. Also, why can you still control the volume of the LO? That doesn't seem like a true LO then...

How about connecting to the AE-1 from the HP out? Would I want to keep the volume maxed (on the X5) or what? Which would sound better?

Is the X5 just not a good choice to be using with an amp?

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 35
Just get a mini-to-mini and amp from the headphone out. The reusability of the cord aside, the headphone out on the X5's is superb as MP3 players go. The $15 cardas 6" works great.

About the line-out, I believe the volume changes in large steps -- as in there a handful of "fixed" levels of output.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a mini-to-mini and amp from the headphone out. The reusability of the cord aside, the headphone out on the X5's is superb as MP3 players go. The $15 cardas 6" works great.

Ok. Where should I keep the volume on the X5 though?

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 35
I use it at 30-35 to avoid distortions. I could be wrong, but I think the signal will start to break up a little bit up at 40.

Also, someone had a thread about setting the player to a pretty low volume setting and cranking the volume on the amp, reasoning that the electronics inside the amp are superior. I can't really tell a difference when you do it this way, but it does indicate to me that it doesn't exactly matter what volume levels you're using bet'n the 2 devices so long as they are both reasonable (not way to low or way to high on either end) and the volume sounds good to you.

Enjoy!

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO (don't know if they still make for the X5) or Qables LOD, flat EQ, no effects, volume at 40.

Sounds great, much better than the headphone out.

Holy conflicting information batman!

I just bought the Cardas 6" mini-to-mini though...

So for the people that prefer the HP out to an amp: Why does it sound better than the line-out?

For the people the prefer the line-out to an amp: Why does it sound better than the HP out?

Thanks

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy conflicting information batman!

I just bought the Cardas 6" mini-to-mini though...

So for the people that prefer the HP out to an amp: Why does it sound better than the line-out?

For the people the prefer the line-out to an amp: Why does it sound better than the HP out?

Thanks

I'm also interested in the diff btwn headphone out and line-out.

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 35
I remember when I was researching this topic I found a bunch of posts here and over at iaudiophile.net that talked about the major treble and bass roll off out of the x5 lineout. It was so major that notes would be missing from songs because it seems the LO isn't a really LO at all. I hope the X7, if its really in development, will have a real Lineout but retain the X5 goodness of batt life, UMS + filetree, and SQ

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

ALO (don't know if they still make for the X5) or Qables LOD, flat EQ, no effects, volume at 40.

Sounds great, much better than the headphone out.

I beleive the opposite is true, I tested it pretty extensively. The signal from the bottom of the X5 is flawed. The HP out is good. ALO no longer make the X5 dock, too many complaints I assume.

Check out these threads:

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11956

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11889

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 35
Ok, so my HeadAmp AE-1 came today and I finally got to test it out with my X5 and DT 880's!
icon10.gif

Regarding the HP out vs. line-out... I can't decide. Yes, that's right. I've heard all the "X5 line-out sucks! It's thin and has no bass!" comments, but when A/B'ing back and forth between the HP and LO, I actually preferred the LO in some areas.

I had my X5 volume at 40 with no EQ or effects on.

My impressions of the HP: Rich and full sound, mostly. Good bass but the over-all signature seemed a bit off. It sounded like the lower frequencies were being emphasized too much. The bass kind of "blooms" over the other frequencies. Mids were a bit "cloudy" and recessed. Highs didn't sparkle as much as I would like. Overall, sounded a little dull.

As for the LO: First impression, clearer than the HP out. Highs were crisp, mids had more detail and bass was taught. Yes, there was less bass, but I think what was there sounded better. Most noticeable with drums. From the HP out, drums had power, but lacked the hard impact feeling. With the LO, I felt the "snap" more. The bad? The sound lacked "body", sense of presence and weight though. Overall, a clean and energetic sound.

BTW I was using the stock X5 dock with stock X5 mini-to-mini cable.

I don't know how people are saying the LO is TERRIBLE OH GOD I'M GONNA BARF! Maybe using a better mini-to-mini would improve the HP out sound? I've got a 6" Cardas cable on the way.

Thoughts?

edit: From that iaudiophile thread

"The X5 line-out has an undersized capacitor which acts like a high-pass filter when used in a low-impedance circuit (i.e. directly to powered speakers), much like the 4G iPods of yore. This type of connection prematurely cuts the bass.

However, when higher-impedance circuitry (such as a headphone amp replete with headphones) is introduced in the equation, the line-out sounds at least as good as the headphone out."

Hmm... maybe I'm not crazy?

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 35
Well obviously I was one of the people saying the LO is TERRIBLE OH GOD I'M GONNA BARF!
tongue.gif
so I'll give my thoughts.

I was using an ALO cryo dock, stock, and home made for the LO and got the same issue with all 3 so I don't think thats the problem.

The main issue I remember was the complete lack of deep bass from the LO, I used test signals and can't remember now but below a certain frequency, nothing came out my LO but was fine through the HP. I also remember the LO sounding much thinner.

The differences we both heard could be due to us using different sources, cans, amps etc. Or, I suspect, there are differences in our X5s because the difference is not subtle. Mine is a 60GB, about 12 months old. Yours?

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

The HP had a **** load of hiss, and the highs rolled off. Amped LO has no hiss, much clearer, just better in every way.

My HP out has very little hiss with ER4s, certainly not more than the LO.

It seems there must be variation in X5s.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is a 60GB, about 12 months old. Yours?

The 30GB model, about 15 months old.

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well obviously I was one of the people saying the LO is TERRIBLE OH GOD I'M GONNA BARF!
tongue.gif
so I'll give my thoughts.

Well, it was a slight exaggeration...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back