Amping the W5000 questions
Jan 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I was thinking about the optimal Amplification for my W5000.
I feel the MPX3 has too much wasted power on them, as they are (very) low impedance headphones.
I tried various tube rolling, the differences are subtle IMO.
I was thinking about auditioning an amp which will excel with such low impedance headphones, or maybe some other tubes I haven't tried yet.

I mostly would like more bass quantity and depth, musicality and bigger sound overall.

I know you guys are going to say: Get the AH-5000 or AH-2002, I would have done this already, but these are very hard to find amps, so unless someone has a very easy way to get one, I would say this is a very low probable option.

comments about amps for the W5000 will be a nice thing to for me to hear.

I am also considering the Fitz mod, once my Source (Upgraded SB3) will come back from repair in a few days.

I will appreciate your help
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 14
$981 audio-technica AT-HA5000

Dynahi (I think one is in the FS thread, but don't know how it will handle those cans). I've heard digipete's Dynamite, but running as a Dynahi probably one of the finest solid state amps I've heard. It's got warmth, texture, detail, and throws a huge soundstage among doing many other things very well and it can drive low impedance headphones too.

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the quick post 909
biggrin.gif

The problem with the AH-5000 is the Power source: AC100V and 50/60Hz

I obviously need a 220V 50Hz
plainface.gif

I Will check on the Dynhai
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm not sure I want to go that way 909.
and BTW, it seems that the Dynhai is sold.
where can I get a new one ?

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 14
What is this wasted power issue?

The AT-HA5000 just sits there drawing almost 30 watts of power all the time (class A) while providing, what, at most 100 mWs most max most of the time? It gets very warm to the touch on top.

I understood that there was one set of tubes that could be used with the Singlepower amps that was synergistic with the W5000s? Or do you have the tube connections for that set? If not maybe you could send it back and have a modification made to your unit for less than the cost of the AT-HA5000.

But having said all that the AT-HA5000 just does something special with my W5000s as well as my A900LTDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I was thinking about the optimal Amplification for my W5000.
I feel the MPX3 has too much wasted power on them, as they are (very) low impedance headphones.
I tried various tube rolling, the differences are subtle IMO.
I was thinking about auditioning an amp which will excel with such low impedance headphones, or maybe some other tubes I haven't tried yet.

I mostly would like more bass quantity and depth, musicality and bigger sound overall.

I know you guys are going to say: Get the AH-5000 or AH-2002, I would have done this already, but these are very hard to find amps, so unless someone has a very easy way to get one, I would say this is a very low probable option.

comments about amps for the W5000 will be a nice thing to for me to hear.

I am also considering the Fitz mod, once my Source (Upgraded SB3) will come back from repair in a few days.

I will appreciate your help
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 14
slwiser,
Wasted power is a term i use to say that it can drive very hard and high impedance which is not the case for the W5000.

You know what I mean ?

about the MPX3 tubes, I have a set which its synergy is nice, but I'm not sure it's the best match for it too.

I'm not sure I want to send my amp back to Mikhail, shipment is expensive and it will cost about 100$ each direction.

I might contact Mikhail, but it takes him forever to reply via Email
confused.gif

the AH-5000 does seems to be the ultimate for the the W5K
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 14
What you need for the lower impedance cans is higher current output. With the MPX this can be achieved by using the 6bl7 or 5687 out output tubes. It is preferable to run the 6bl7s at the 400 volt setting, if your amp has this feature. I do this with the Grados, which are also lower in impedance, with great success.

If that is still not satisfactory for you, SinglePower has their new "Extreme" amp that has so much output it can drive the AKG K1000's effortlessly. It also has the current required to sucessfully use with the Grados, AKG 701, etc. This amp is around the same price as the MPX and comes in two versions with different transformers.

- augustwest

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 14
augustwest,
Thank you very much for a very clear and to the point reply.
I tried the Slam option, but I don't have the 400 volt option installed, mine is just an MPX3 with SLAM adapters and I use 5687.lately I moved to Mullard ecc182 which I find even better.

The new Extreme from Mikhail seems very very tempting and might be the thing for me.

The Platinum (mainly the Plitron in it) makes me drooooool
basshead.gif

I just read Earl's comments about low impedance cans, SR-80, and he said the result was very good, and as I know him (personally, yes, I went to visit him once) he doesn't really like Grados, so I consider this as a major compliment
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can I get a new one ?

Don't think anyone is currently making them.

So used or DIY is your best bet.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 14
You might also consider some less costly options:

1. MAD Purist EAR+ HD
2. Grado RA-1 A/C

Both of these reportedly sound exceptional with low impedence phones (Grados) - I assume they would also sound exceptional with ATH's - perhaps someone who's tried them with the ATH's can tell you???

And... there's a ready market for them... if not.

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 14
909 - Dynhai will be off for now, regarding it's situation.

Gradofan2 - I don't thing the Grado RA-1 is that good, thought I have heard that the MAD Purist EAR+ HD is quite good.

Right now I am thinking about the new SP Extreme Platinum
evil_smiley.gif

Damn, Mikhail is killing my pocket
eek.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 14
I had several tube amps in the past...but I personally prefer SS amps with W5000 or Fitz modded F5000. On that note, the AD797 opamp based RSA XP-7 or M^3 with 627/637 opamps does extremely well with W5000 or F5000. Then again...it's all matter of personal preference
biggrin.gif
Like I always say...trust your ears
eggosmile.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 14
I have a friend with a Larocco Headcode amp and a well built M^3, considering he wants to get rid of all that, it might be nice to try here locally (in Israel)
eggosmile.gif

Spanx a lot SK138
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back