Amping the V-Moda M-100
Nov 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hd800op

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a V-Moda Crossfade M-100, and was wondering if a portable amp such as the Fiio E6 would benefit the audio clarity of these headphones from an iPad 4, Galaxy Nexus, and HP Envy (2013). Mostly I will be using the Nexus, and will be listening to hip hop and electronic music.

Also, are there any sub 50$ headphone amps which would benefit clarity at all if not the Fiio?

Please vote if you post.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks, but are there any amps that would benefit to some degree that ARE portable, I know almost any headphone can benefit from an amp, or at least I've been told, (and heard,) as I own a Beats Solo HD, and it definitely benefitted from amping provided by my computer, don't know if that's the built in amp, DAC, software, or just a good music card, as I hear my computer has a built in amp or DAC or something as part of its "advanced audio system". I don't know I'm relatively new to high end audio, hence why I own a Beats product.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 20
Give the NuForce MMP a try if you don't want a FiiO.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 20
The Nexus doesn't get very loud so an amp helps a lot. The FiiO E11 is only $53 on Amazon and it's FiiO's flagship amp. I use the E17 with my M-100 and they do improve clarity and sound stage.

Edit: Sorry. The E12 is FiiO's flagship. But the E11 is still a great amp and has a good reputation here on Head-Fi.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks, but are there any amps that would benefit to some degree that ARE portable, I know almost any headphone can benefit from an amp, or at least I've been told, (and heard,) as I own a Beats Solo HD, and it definitely benefitted from amping provided by my computer, don't know if that's the built in amp, DAC, software, or just a good music card, as I hear my computer has a built in amp or DAC or something as part of its "advanced audio system". I don't know I'm relatively new to high end audio, hence why I own a Beats product.

The e6 will make it louder, no doubt, though you loose the ability to use an eq (other than the e6's) and the sound doesn't go THAT much louder.

The e11 would be better.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 20
  Bump this again, I still haven't gotten consistency in answers...

Let's just say that the VERZA was tuned with the M-100 in mind by Val.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 20
  Yeah but I don't want to spend 600$ on a portable amp.

That's just an example.  You don't have to amp the M-100, but it doesn't mean you couldn't.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 20
If you want an amp (no dac) the answer is always going to be E11 a fantastic amp for the price especially with it's bass boost options (not that you'll need them but who knows) I used to have one and it never let me down once, and it's not bulky. If you want sizable improvement then i'd say get a dac amp combo maybe the E17 or E07K. I have the E07K setup on my dell laptop and my M100's sound better then they do when using them with my HTC One X+ or new Nexus 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back