Amping the PSP
Jan 16, 2006 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
In response to these queries

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=psp+amp

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=psp+amp

I've been doing some experimenting. The best option seems to be to use two headphone amps in series, with one acting as the preamp and the other as the actual headphone amp. I tried it with the Emerald acting as the preamp going out to the Orpheus, and I have to say that among other things it gave the Wipeout soundtrack an additional edge that I've been unable to experience previously. It seems to work better than just using one headphone amp to amp the PSP directly.

e.g. Two Superminis could be velcro'd onto a Logitech Playgear Pocket quite easily. I'm sure similar things could be done with a couple of CMOYs.

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 17
interesting solution.

my go-vibe and hornet are back at the house, so i will have to wait until i get home to try this out.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 17
What you do is to simulate a Line Out level signal with the first amp (I did use assisted means to match the output of the PSP + amp to the same as that of a Creative NJB3 and a home deck for testing purposes), then plug that into the second amp. Provided both amps don't suck, what this would do is to gain up the PSP's signal first to 'Line Out' levels without affecting the general integrity of the signal. Then the second amp can amp it just like any normal Line Out. There should be a clearly audible increase in dynamic range as opposed to straight-amping the PSP's headphone out without degrading the overall quality of the PSP's sonic capabilities.

What comes out of the 'preamp' will not be as good as a current DAP's Line Out, but it will be for example as good as some 'classic PCDPs'... and perfectly acceptable for what you would normally do on a PSP.

I tried it with a couple of META42's as well, and the theory seems sound even for entry-level amps.

Jan 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 17
what volume setting do you have the PSP on?

i assume AVLS is off. what does that stand for, anyway? i assume it's "automatic volume limiting system", but with as little output as the PSP has, what's the point?

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I hope this is a joke.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryak
what volume setting do you have the PSP on?

i assume AVLS is off. what does that stand for, anyway? i assume it's "automatic volume limiting system", but with as little output as the PSP has, what's the point?

Full volume, avls off.

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman2k
The joke is the PSP's sound quality and volume level -- although I must admit that carrying around 2 portable amps to try to improve it seems a bit extremen!

It is fine with IEM's when playing games and watching UMDs. Anyone using their PSP for music should look elsewhere.

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 17
It is indeed a joke given the PSP's supposedly "ear-friendly" output, so that in a portable situation the only thing that you'll be able to hear it from is a pair of extremely isolating, highly efficient phones.

Amping the headphone out is not that effective, but the pre/main amp approach seems to generate better results, both audible and measured. Note that I can't reliably measure the original headphone out signal with a headphone load because it has to be gained up too much.

In terms of actual quality assuming you have aforesaid super-efficient phones (such as the E4), I don't see any reason why Sony wouldn't use their codecs which they use in other audio platforms, so I wouldn't imagine that what you get provided your earphones are efficient enough is somewhere along the lines of any other current Sony kit... i.e. just a hair behind practically everyone else
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
In terms of actual quality assuming you have aforesaid super-efficient phones (such as the E4)

actually... this is the solution that i am looking into right now. eh, it gives me that excuse i've been looking for to buy a good set of canals.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 17
It's a better solution if you're not looking for the superior tonal balance of the better (and impossible for the PSP to drive unaided) phones. To someone determined to amp the PSP though, the two-amp approach is the way I think such a person would need to go. Personally I have no intention to go even single-amp with a PSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back