Amping the Oppo PM-3?
Oct 3, 2015 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

themiller10

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Oppo Pm-3s and they're just about loud enough for me at full volume on my Macbook or iPhone 6 when I feel like going that loud. So would an amp be worth buying in terms of improving the SQ of my PM-3s?

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 15
  I recently purchased a pair of Oppo Pm-3s and they're just about loud enough for me at full volume on my Macbook or iPhone 6 when I feel like going that loud. So would an amp be worth buying in terms of improving the SQ of my PM-3s?

They're easy enough to drive that my SGS3 wasn't that disadvantaged driving them vs my Ibasso D-Zero and Meier Cantate.2. if you don't like the sound, it could be from lack of isolation, or you really just don't like its flavor.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 15
Hey thanks for the response, and I love the sound I was just curious if I could make it any better. I haven't really been able to find the answer through just looking around at other posts so I decided to ask. So Amps will only improve SQ when the HP is previously not being fed enough power?

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 15
Hey thanks for the response, and I love the sound I was just curious if I could make it any better. I haven't really been able to find the answer through just looking around at other posts so I decided to ask. So Amps will only improve SQ when the HP is previously not being fed enough power?

Not directly. Power just affects how loud it can get, what matters is clean, usable power without clipping. Technically speaking when an amplifier is rated a lot of amps can make more than what they're rated for, but the real question is how much distortion is there at that point and how much more it will pile on. And then there's clipping.

You might notice the critique of qualitative impressions that the listener may have set one amp louder since they didn't use at least their own ears to get it even, much less use an actual dB meter. There's one part that ignores though, and that maybe the listener only uses that much on one amp because beyond that there's audible distortion.  That said, the point where it gets really loud but "tolerable" and plays very cleanly may already be deep into ear damage territory anyway, so as much as I'd point that out, it's still better to just use a dB meter.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiller10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok so will my iPhone and Macbook be producing distortion at higher volume levels?

The iPhone is cleaner than the SGS3 and has better control at higher volume, and the Macbook is way more powerful and cleaner. You'd be in hearing damage territory before you hit audible distortion the Macbook, unless your version is drastically different from the ones I've used.

That said something like the Ibasso D-Zero MkII would get a lot more clean power than a Macbook and would be a good place to start if you just want to see if it makes a lot of difference and for not a lot of money. Best part is that in case it does make a difference you can take it on the road with you.

This is the MkI, and it wasn't even intended to work off OTG/CCK, but it does.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 15

The iPhone is cleaner than the SGS3 and has better control at higher volume, and the Macbook is way more powerful and cleaner. You'd be in hearing damage territory before you hit audible distortion the Macbook, unless your version is drastically different from the ones I've used.

That said something like the Ibasso D-Zero MkII would get a lot more clean power than a Macbook and would be a good place to start if you just want to see if it makes a lot of difference and for not a lot of money. Best part is that in case it does make a difference you can take it on the road with you.

This is the MkI, and it wasn't even intended to work off OTG/CCK, but it does.

Ok great thank you I'll check that out, also I get crackling out of the PM-3s on certain songs on both my macbook and iPhone, should i be contacting Oppo about that?

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 15

Ok great thank you I'll check that out, also I get crackling out of the PM-3s on certain songs on both my macbook and iPhone, should i be contacting Oppo about that?

That could be both of them distorting, or it could be in the file and it's inaudible at lower volume. Have you tried the same files and same sources on a different headphone? Make sure it's as loud as the PM-3 as much as possible.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Despite being very effecient, I also found amped sounding much better than unamped with the PM-3's. I did not like the E12 amp with these. Currently awaiting delivery of the Cayin C5 and the Oppo HA-2 Amp/DAC to see which is more appealing.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Despite being very effecient, I also found amped sounding much better than unamped with the PM-3's. I did not like the E12 amp with these. Currently awaiting delivery of the Cayin C5 and the Oppo HA-2 Amp/DAC to see which is more appealing.

So what amp did you use that sounded much better driving them?

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

My desktop amp, audioengine n-22 brought the planars to life. No waiting for that power in my portable rig.

Just watch the output levels. Most overlooked but otherwise noted here is that in some comparisons one might be playing louder; what I'd point out more is that one plays louder and cleaner, but by that point it could be at higher risk for hearing damage.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 15

So I was listening to my PM-3s and when i would get the crackling I would plug in the Apple earbuds and the crackling would be there on those as well. I'm listening to Apple Music so the sound should be of good quality correct?

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 15

So I was listening to my PM-3s and when i would get the crackling I would plug in the Apple earbuds and the crackling would be there on those as well. I'm listening to Apple Music so the sound should be of good quality correct?

Not necessarily. AFAIK the main thing about "Mastered for iTunes" and stuff was high gain, so it's basically unabashed rehashing and marketing of the logic behind the Loudness Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back