Amping the K701s
Feb 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

onocentaur

100+ Head-Fier
[size=xx-small](Not really sure whether this should go here or in the amp forum, but I guess it'll be moved if I'm wrong...)[/size]
Anyway, in an earlier thread about upgrade choices, I got a lot of positives for the K701s. However, it also seems that they need decent amplification to get to their best. I'm currently using a Meier Porta Corda, I've also got a Cmoy and I will (eventually - ordered fairly recently!) be getting a Xin Supermicro. Are these amps going to be enough for the K701s? If so, I might give them a try...
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 11
i listen to my K701s through my Headfive, Hornet-M and Darkvoice 336. all do a wonderful job though special nod goes to my Darkvoice: the K701s really reach incredible heights with a tube amp. your Porta Corda and upcoming Supermicro will do well but if you want to fully realize how good the K701s are, i think you need to keep climbing the upgrade tree.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 11
How do you find your K701 and Headfive?

I don't know if I'm using the right term, but as much as they drive them well I find them a tad 'sterile' with my Headfive.

I'm also looking for a Darkvoice, it's a split between the 336i and 332.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 11
the H5 was good not great w/701s when I had it. it did not
have the power to add sparkle and warmth to the AKGs. Not to sound like a broken record, but try to find a Heed to
try w/your 701s. a world of difference!

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a Xin Supermacro IV to use with K701s. It is superb. Even has me reconsidering my long range plan to acquire a high end nonportable amp.

That makes me feel good about my upcoming Supermicro...
cool.gif

The Hornet does seem to have a lot of fans, but is quite expensive... As I've now bought some K701s, I'll wait and see how they fare with what I've got, before making any further rash decisions
wink.gif

Thanks for the help
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back