Amping the K601 on a budget
Nov 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jazz9

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I have a pair of K601s on the way and am trying to find an amp (<$250, new or used shipped to France) for them.
I've already searched the forum but there really is not a lot of info on the K601...
Anyways, from what I gathered I need something that can deliver a lot of current.
The Shanling PH100 seems to be a good option but most people used it with 701s so I don't know if it's going to be as good with the 601.
What worries me about this amp is that it's said to be a warm, bassy, soundstage limited amp.
I also looked at some DIYs amps and the CK²III is within my budget but then again no idea on how it would pair with the K601.
My source is a Zero DAC/AMP.
If someone could lend me a hand I'd appreciate it!

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I use a CTH with my K601's and they sound very nice with it, it keeps surprising me. You could build one for that budget.

From what I have read, the 601's are not quite as hard to drive as the 701's, so it may be compatible with more amps.

That said, the CK2III is a very capable amp as well, and should drive them fine. I think I am partial to Hybrids myself..

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 17
I think it's a safe bet that if an amp is adequate to drive the K701, it won't have problems with the K601. They're not that different.

A DIY amp is always likely to be your best value for money, so if you're capable of building one (or can get a builder to make one for you), it's a good way to go.

Otherwise, I'd check out a used Head-Direct EF1, or maybe an EF2 (I used the EF1 with the K701 happily for a long time). There's also a used Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 up on Audiogon for $250 plus shipping right now which will strain your budget a little bit but also probably be a good bet.

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 17
MrSlim, in terms of juice required, the 601 is actually harder to drive than the 701 : this has been discussed here many times. Whether its easier to find an amp that will do justice to one or the other is a different question - its not just about power, hence the tube recommendations. I have to use my integrated stereo amp atm.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 17
In strict terms, the K601 is less efficient and a more difficult load than the K701. Objectively speaking though, neither is really difficult to drive anyway. Of course this will fly in the face of subjectivists that have struggled to find their "perfect" amp so it's up to you to decide what you believe.

According to headroom's measurements you'll need an amp that can drive between a 120-250ohm load and be able to push the 101dB @ 1mW to your listening levels (hopefully safe ones). That is to provide enough power without actual clipping.

This is strictly in terms of power though . . . you'll need to consider other aspects as well. If you go for a tube amp then it really becomes subjective as the smallest things can change how the amp will actually sound.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 17
with tube amps though, the k601s might be easier to drive since higher impedance loads are usually easier driven by tubes. Take my little dot mk2 as a good budget tube amp as an example. It puts out 300mW at 300 to 600 ohms while at 32 ohms it only gives you 100 mW

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with tube amps though, the k601s might be easier to drive since higher impedance loads are usually easier driven by tubes. Take my little dot mk2 as a good budget tube amp as an example. It puts out 300mW at 300 to 600 ohms while at 32 ohms it only gives you 100 mW

Hm, I guess that is a good point. Didn't consider it from that point of view either. Traditionally I've only seen high impedance loads associated with difficult.

Of course 100mW at 32ohms is still more than enough for most headphones anyway though, so it's all good
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Oh I forgot about the EF1, a little over my budget but nice indeed. The EF2 is cheaper but would it be enough for a K601?
And about the diy amps, I'd buy one already made (used most likely).
I read more about the CK²III and while a capable amp it looks like it wouldn't be a great match because it is, like the K601, mids-oriented.
I like my mids as much as the next guy but too much of a good thing can be bad...
Off to read about that CTH amp MrSlim recommended!

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 17
I certainly love listening to my K601 through my Gilmore Lite. Before I bought the amp, I remember reading a very well-written review of this combination by a Head-Fi member in some e-zine. It would take some hunting to come up with a link, but hopefully the information is still online.

EDIT: OK, I tried to locate the review(s) in question, and I believe they were written by Steve Ham for Stereomojo. Unfortunately, that Web site is such a mess that the links for the separate K601 and Gilmore Lite reviews take one to completely irrelevant pages involving miles and miles of scrolling through endless random reviews of this and that. I'm not sure if the reviews are up at all anymore at this point.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 17
I've been pretty happy with my LD 1+ with new tubes and swapped Op Amps...but then again I dont really have anything to compare it too.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I forgot about the EF1, a little over my budget but nice indeed. The EF2 is cheaper but would it be enough for a K601?
And about the diy amps, I'd buy one already made (used most likely).
I read more about the CK²III and while a capable amp it looks like it wouldn't be a great match because it is, like the K601, mids-oriented.
I like my mids as much as the next guy but too much of a good thing can be bad...
Off to read about that CTH amp MrSlim recommended!

i've built 2 different CK2III amp for a friend with a pair of K601. for those who think the K601 lacks a certain "presence", the CK2III will deliver. if you think the K601 lacks dynamcis, bass, and treble, the M3 will deliver. for the best of both amps, pony up for a B22.

don't discount the CK2III. for the price, it's a wonderful amp partnered with the K601. i've not heard the CTH though.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 17
If you can find one, the Starving Student drives the K601 very well. It is another mids oriented amp though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've built 2 different CK2III amp for a friend with a pair of K601. for those who think the K601 lacks a certain "presence", the CK2III will deliver. if you think the K601 lacks dynamcis, bass, and treble, the M3 will deliver. for the best of both amps, pony up for a B22.

don't discount the CK2III. for the price, it's a wonderful amp partnered with the K601. i've not heard the CTH though.

I think the M3 and B22 are out of the OPs price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back