Amping the headphone jack?
Sep 15, 2004 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

martycat

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've just got my SR-71. I like it very much with the lineouts of my old skool discmans. Just a question that my iPod is an old 2G iPod without a lineout... If I want to bring the SR-71 and iPod for portable use, how much volume should I have the iPod set to get the best signal to the amp? I understand that it'll never be as good as a lineout but I don't feel like getting a new iPod before the Applecare expired. Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Actually, in theory amping a headphone jack should not help at all. An amp is only good because it replaces an integrated amp. If you just place it in series with an integrated amp, then it's just going to degrade the signal further.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks all~
biggrin.gif

Yeah I know that the signal from the headphone out is already amped which leads to some loss if I amp it again... but I found that the dynamic and seperation is better through the SR-71 from the headphone out of my 2G iPod and PowerBook...

Sep 15, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 14
I would suggest 100% volume. I read somewhere that the iPod integrated amplifier actually attenuates rather than amplifies. That is, the iPod line out from the dock is somewhat MAX volume. So, when using the dock or PocketDock, you are feeding the SR-71 max volume from the iPod.

In the car, since I still don't have the PocketDock, I connect my iPod mini to the AUX line in of my car stereo using the headphone output of the mini. I find that using 100% volume on the mini works the best for me. I believe this is because 100% volume from the iPod allows for the highest signal to be amplified by my car stereo, thus increasing signal to noise ratio.

(As an aside, for iTrip, you don't want 100% volume as that would distort the iTrip input amplifier. You want about 75% volume for iTrip. Same with some cassette adaptors.)

At home, I use the iPod mini dock line out to the SR-71.

Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I would suggest 100% volume. I read somewhere that the iPod integrated amplifier actually attenuates rather than amplifies. That is, the iPod line out from the dock is somewhat MAX volume. So, when using the dock or PocketDock, you are feeding the SR-71 max volume from the iPod.

Thanks Pat! The iPod attenuates rather than amplifies... wow... it's really new to me...
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 14
I ran a 1G headphone out at 100% with the SR71 for as long as I had both.
Sounded very nice to me (and much better than anything below 100%).

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 14
If a portable attenuates instead of amplifies then that should mean there should be no battery life difference at different volume settings no? I've always wondered amongst different portables how the battery life would be at different volume levels. I've never bothered to check my Nitrus concerning that.

I like my ER6is out of my SuperDual more than out the Nitrus' jack though and my jack is not a line out.

Sep 15, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

If a portable attenuates instead of amplifies then that should mean there should be no battery life difference at different volume settings no?

I just read the "attenuation" theory from several posts in ipodlounge.com. Makes sense to me because (without actually measuring the line out v. headphone jack), the line out distorts audio when using a cassette adapter in my car -- same effect as when I max out the volume out of the headphone jack.

As far as battery life, it has been reported that higher volume consumes more power. This can happen even with attenuation depending on the circuitry and amp stages involved. Note that the iPod amplifier must be able to attenuate, othewise you won't be able to completely turn the sound down. When the volume is down, the power consumption is the same as line out only (note line out is still MAX with volume down as it is not passing through the amp), so you use less power. Since I have not done any actual measurements, it is possible that the same amplifier that attenuates may be able to boost the signal to a level higher than line out at the microphone jack. I doubt it because the line out is plenty loud already.

I haven't seen nor have access to the actual iPod circuitry to make a more educated analysis. So don't take the above as gospel.

Sep 15, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks blessingx and Ian~ I feel the same... my ER6i and MS-1 sing really better thru the SR-71 from the headphone out of my 2G iPod and PowerBook. The improvement is a tad less on the A900. Seems that amplification is really not that important for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back