Amping Senn 280's?
Jan 30, 2005 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

quackattack

100+ Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to this whole headphone thing. I just got a pair of 280's and have been loving them. My question is, is it worth the $$ to buy an amp for them?

I know a lot of people think you need higher end phones to benefit from an amp. But my dilemma is this: I probably only have enough $$ for and amp or for new phones, not both. I don't want to get phones that require an amp (I was looking at 580's) and not be able to buy one.

So any thoughts? Should I get an amp for my 280's? Or is this a waste? Thanks guys!

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 8
i think all phones benefit from an amp, though some more than others. i haven't heard the 280's amped, but the E2c is significantly more pleasing to my ear when run out of my Corda HA-1. the Senn 580/6x0 system is going to need an amp. if you are generally happy with your phones but want to upgrade in the future, i would suggest getting a nice little amp (if you get a portable amp i would suggest one that has an AC adaptor). it will make your upgrade path significantly smoother. personally, however, i think you should just be happy with your current phones, abandon the idea of an amp, and run away from this forum. your wallet will thank you, believe me
plainface.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 8
I feel the HD280 does benefit from an amp.

However, if you are limited in funds, you may want to consider spending the money on upgrading other areas of you setup. Many people here seem to recommend first upgrading your source, then headphones, followed by amp, with cables (IC and power) as an absolute last step.

If you've already got a good source, I've read the A500 is a better-sounding headphone than the HD280, and it doesn't need an amp. Personally, I like my HD280 (especially when I want good isolation), but I prefer my HD580 (even though, interestingly enough, my HD280 has a much tighter/punchier bass than my HD580... guess I'm not a basshead
tongue.gif
).

The best thing for your wallet, is to listen to EdipisReks... Enjoy what you've got, and run away!
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 8
I am actually very happy with the 280's I'm not really planning on upgrading them unless it would be a significant improvement. As far as my source I am using either a computer or an iPod.

Sounds like an amp is my next best step. I just wanted to confirm that there would be an improvement with these phones. As far as my wallet, I fear you guys are too late! I already have a bad case of upgraditus.

Thanks for your input, I welcome anymore that people have on this matter.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by quackattack
I am actually very happy with the 280's I'm not really planning on upgrading them unless it would be a significant improvement.

if you're happy, why upgrade? it also depends on how much you'll willing to spend on a upgrade. so unless your budget is without limit, just stick with your 280 and enjoy it while you still can.

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
if you're happy, why upgrade? it also depends on how much you'll willing to spend on a upgrade. so unless your budget is without limit, just stick with your 280 and enjoy it while you still can.

Well, allow me to rephrase. I'm happy to the point that I do not think new headphones are the next step. I like the sound I am getting due to the fact that they are my first "real" set of headphones. They give me the right degree of isolation, and they are comfortable (maybe a little large).

I would love an improvement, I am excited to see what I can do to improve my listening experience. While I am not disappointed in them, I am very curious to see where I can go from here. I am looking to put another $300 or so into my system. I love music, and spend the majority of my time listening to it. I would like to make the investment to improve this experience.

I guess you could say I am happy, but not content. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to blow my hard earned $$, but this is something I have been thinking about doing for a while, and I think I'm about to take the plunge.

I don't know guys.... am I being foolish??? This thread has begun to concern me. Thanks again!

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm actually in the same boat. Got my HD280 Pros in Nov. and I've been reading here far too much the last month or more (this is my first post, though)... my wallet is scared.

One thing I know I'm going to spend on is a new soundcard (using onboard now, thinking Revo 7.1 or other Envy24), but a portable amp would benefit listening with my Zen Xtra as well, so I've been considering one.

So basically I'm just looking to see if anyone has any other suggestions on whether or not the 280s benefit from an amp or not.

Feb 2, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 8
I've had my 280's for about a year, and ended up in the same boat as you guys... Here's what I did.

I bought a headsave MintVibe from Norm (great guy, recommended), although I didn't notice much difference. At this point in time, my source was the headphone jack on my comuter. I had noticed that when I ran my cans off of my receiver, the sound was better. And that was streaming the music from the computer to the receiver over an optical cable, so no bitrate vs cd b.s. Anyhoo, I tried everything, burning in the amp, running line outs from the CD player and it only gave my marginal gains. Next, I bought an M-Audio sonica USB DAC and ran that to my amp. I did notice a slight improvment, but nothing revolutionary... a little more transparency and depth. By far the best thing I did to my 280's is, first, burn the crap out of them. I gave a month and a half of fairly loud bass heavy music 24/7. That made a huge difference. Second, look up 280's and blue tack mod. This made a hell of a difference in the low end. Those would be my suggestion. I can't say the money spent on the amp and the source made a big enough difference in the 280's to justify the cost. That being said, the reason I bought the 280's in the first place was to have great sounding unamped cans. They are, without a doubt, some of the best I've ever heard. I just got caught up in the better, more, bigger, faster of these forums... and that's why I left for a while, but now I'm back and wanting Grado's. F'ing Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back