Amping MS-1s worth the money?
Aug 1, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I currently only have MS-1s, but I'm wondering if getting an amp for it would be worth the money. As of right now, I only have about $200 US saved up, but with some time, I could probably double that. I'm currently looking at powering a set of Beyerdynamic DT880s (that I will get later on when I have the $). I'm also looking to get a desktop amp, since I wouldn't use my amp with an mp3 player anyways (too much of a hassle). My current source is an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 using foobar2000. My typical music is electronic/trance/hard trance with a bit of random pop (I don't like the american kind but I enjoy Alizée's music and certain bits of jpop I find from anime series). They are usually encoded in mp3 at around alt preset standard to 320 kbps, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyway, I was looking at the Gilmore Lite and the M^3 from Rockhopper Audio, although the M^3 seems to be very expensive. Does anyone have any opinions on these two amps or other amps that would have good synergy with what I'm looking to get?

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 12
I have an M³ and use it with my MS-1s, the difference is incredible, they really open up
smily_headphones1.gif
I recommend the opa637/627 opamp combo for them though, the ad8610 is just a touch too bright for them.

Synergy - definately.

The MS-1s are definately a giant killer for the price.

PS- if you can get the 637 with ths4601d in the ground it sounds even better (to my ears)..

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 12
Amping them really makes the MS-1 shine...and expensive amps aren't necessary either.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Well i know they sound great running through my old receiver compared to straight out of my computer. As a side note sort of. Can anyone recommend me a good amp for under $80.

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator88
Can anyone recommend me a good amp for under $80.

Why, yes! The aphered-47 amp. One can be built quite cheap, and they are made for Grado cans. Contact a builder if you cant/dont want to do it yourself. I have one, and it is great with Grado/Alessandro cans!

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 12
Alright, thanks for the replies. Keep the comments coming on those two amps for Beyer DT880s and MS-1 if possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Alright, thanks for the replies. Keep the comments coming on those two amps for Beyer DT880s and MS-1 if possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Cyrilix..

You have got almost the exact setup as I do. I currently have an MS1 that I'm amping through the PocketAmpV2. I have just bought a DT880 from Headroom and am waiting for it to arrive (Headroom is out of stock). I'm also considering another amp and another CDP/SACDP.

I'll be watching this thread....to see the suggestions...

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Hey Cyrilix..

You have got almost the exact setup as I do. I currently have an MS1 that I'm amping through the PocketAmpV2. I have just bought a DT880 from Headroom and am waiting for it to arrive (Headroom is out of stock). I'm also considering another amp and another CDP/SACDP.

I'll be watching this thread....to see the suggestions...

Any difference between unamped MS-1 and PA2V2 w/ MS-1?

I actually had about 1 hour to demo Zemo's amps, and I tried all 3 (Epsilon, Mu and Lambda) with my MS-1s running out of both mp3 player and source. I can't say that I noticed an immediate difference although that's probably because I was a bit rushed and never got the chance to fully appreciate the amps (usually critical listening and comparing headphones takes me a couple of hours at least).

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 12
I've been listening to Zemo recabled SA5ks (mine!) for a few hours now... and I can tell you ... they'd be very well suited to your music tastes and the M³...

(this is from experience)

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I currently only have MS-1s, but I'm wondering if getting an amp for it would be worth the money.

Hell yes - an amp takes them to a whole other level of performance
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
The difference I had using my CMoy...not very much. The difference using a PIMETA that offers some buffers (I think that's why it's better for the Grados), large.

For me, it just made things clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back