Amping Motorola Q?
Dec 31, 2006 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cgetman

New Head-Fier
I have recently been listening to music on my Q through a sedio adapter and ety e4ps. I thought it sounded pretty good until I switched back to my iaudio G3 with the ety's and the same music files!

Has anyone experimented with amping the headphone output of the Q? It may not be desireable or possible due to the phone aspect of the headphone output of the Q. (I'm looking for an excuse to get a Tomahawk)

I may be expecting too much from my spectacular new Q!

Thanks, Curt

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I was thinking of getting an adapter for my d900 so that it's their proprietary plug to a female mini plug. Then using a mini-mini to my pa2v2. But I was thinking about the integrated amp in the phone and realized that by further amplifying it, I could actually DEGRADE SQ by amplifying a crappy signal.

I'll probably still try it, but I'll have to order the adapter from China so I'm a little skeptical.

As for a Motorola phone, I'm fairly sure it doesn't use the standard 3.5mm jack that headphones use, I think it's a 2.5mm one or something, so you'll need an adapter for yours too.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 6
I already have the adapter (Sedio) from 2.5 to 3.5. The adapter also has an integrated microphone and a switch to accept/cancel calls. I have been listening to my Q though this adapter conected to my Ety 4p IEMs.

I'm concerned, as Advil mentioned, that amping the output of the 2.5 - 3.5mic/switch adapter I will only increase the volume of the semi-lowfidelity audio that is coming out of the Q.

I didn't realize that the Q audio wasn't very high quality until I switched back to listening to the same program material with the Etys and my iaudio G3.

I'm thinking that an amp (Tomahawk? maybe) may help improve the audio quality of the Q. Thus my starting this thread.

Thanks, Curt

I'm hoping someone with a Q, 2.5-3.5 adapter, and amp will do some experimenting and share with the forum.

Jan 2, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Now, I'm a fledgling at this whole amp thing, but from what info I've gleaned so far, I can give you a solid piece of advice: "Garbage in, garbage out."

If the source is less-than-stellar to begin with, even the best amp will be of little overall efficacy. You need a good source to begin with.

Why not just get the Tomahawk for your G3?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back