Amping headphones with no line-out available
May 22, 2004 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nierika

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm using an Allen&Heath Xone32 DJ Mixer and would like increased headphone amplification on the CUE channel. However, there is no line-out for the CUE channel (a feature that I think future DJ mixers should have), only a 1/4" headphone jack with a max output of 400mW and I believe the output impedence is 0 Ohms. I have a Gilmore Lite on the way, would it be possible to connect it to the headphone jack on my mixer with a 1/4"->RCA interconnect and turn the mixer headphone volume fairly low? I understand amping the CUE twice would degrade the signal quality somewhat, but is this a feasible solution? Would I risk damaging the line-in on the Gilmore Lite if the mixer volume was inadvertantly turned up? Thanks for any advice...

May 22, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 3
It's not uncommon to substitute a headphone-out for a line-out. I'm not sure if you want to turn the volume down all the way though. I'm pretty sure you'd want to turn it up somewhat, but not sure about what would damage your amp.

May 22, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Perhaps if you made up an in-line attenuator for the headphone socket and configured it so that the amp works within your requirement thresholds with the headphone volume turned all the way up, then there's less likelihood of you blowing your ears/phones out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back