Amping a HD600 with a EMU 0404??
Jun 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking into getting a EMU 0404 DAC for my computer audio. From what ive gathered, it sounds like a good product for the price, the only thing im unsure about is the headphone output and if it will have enough drive for HD600's, that i am also looking into purchasing. If anyone with experience of this, or a similar setup, i would love to hear your comments on it.

If the headphones are not properly driven what kind of outcomes can i expect? less bass? sound detail? soundstage?

On a side note: I have a cheap B Tech BT928 HP amp. would the EMU 0404's HP output be better than the B-tech. I would expect so, but would love to see opinions..

Thanks

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 7
hd650 out of a 0404usb sounded a bit grainy, bass is not as deep as a proper amplifier and the sound is a bit thin.
This is in comparison to my Solo, I have not heard much around that price mark. I think it's more detailed and neutral than the X-Fi ExtremeMusic soundcard.

As a source it is pretty nice for the money and it will certainly get you started but the HD600 really likes a bit more
smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 7
Same has paaj, tried it with my 650's and it is not a patch on my darkvoice 332 as an amp. I don't really use it as a source either, although when I did it was it was a vast improvement on my soundcard. For me it's handy for needle dropping my vinyl but when I get my NAD PP3 I probably won't even need it for that.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok. I think i may get it, see how it is, and maybe get a nice tube amp later down the line if needed.

For a Hi-End heaadphone noob like me, do you think i will find the HP output of the 0404 *THAT* lacking, or is it pretty decent for what it is?

Do you think that the B Tech BT928 HP amp i have would add to the 0404's sound or just make it worse?

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 7
it is decent for what it is, and I doubt you can find much better for the $200 it costs.

You can add a decent amp later by connecting it with 1/4"->RCA cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back