... Amphion Helium [2'd] VS. Onix Reference 1 ...
May 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BlazingArrow74

100+ Head-Fier
... Hey Everyone !! ... I've heard really good things about both of these bookshelfs and, after looking at tests and specs, hope to acquire one-or-the-other ... However, due to the exotic nature of both of these pieces, I doubt that a demo will be in order ...

... Has anyone heard both, or know enough about both to advise ? ... Much-Thanks !! ...

May 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 5
... Okay, anyone heard either of these speakers ? ... From what I understand, the Ref. 1s are better-paired with a tube pre/amp as it's high-end can be harsh w/ solid-state ... I have a solid-state amp, however, so I'm leaning toward the Amphions, but the price quote I got from Mr. Trayle was five-hundred dollars higher than the MSRP when this speaker was reviewed in Stereophile ... Any advise ? ... I'm not able to audition both at the moment ... {~..~}

May 23, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I am using a pair of Amphion Heliums. My amps are Sophia Baby, Gainclone, or BK 2140. Baby amp is a tube amp. They do very well with each of these amps. They are a huge upgrade from Polk RTi4s. The sound is very smooth and clear, while the bass is plenty. I got mine from Audiogon at a great price, but you can still get them at $799 there. I am so happy with them, but I would not mind to sell you them at $500 more than MSRP.... Just joking.

May 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 5
... Wow, so the Heliums have gone up in price since their introduction ? (damn-inflation) ... Well, I'd be using a solid-state amp with 'em, but I'm interested mostly because of their unique crossover frequency: they should have a superior midrange right ? ... I checked Audiogon recently for them: there are none available at the moment ... {~..~}

... Well, if anyone's ever selling, be-sure to shoot me a PM !! ...

May 31, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 5
well i can't say i've heard either of those speakers, but i must say i'm positively smitten by the argon 2's appearance. made in Finland, too...got some heritage there
wink.gif
i hope they sound as good as they look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back