Amped vs. Unamped
Nov 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #31 of 36
It may be possible that a different (not necessarily more expensive) amp will give you an (subjective) improvement in sound, though I am not certain.

I do find real improvement in pairing my D5000's with the X-Can over the headphones-out of my integrated amp and CD player.
But it may be the tubes that are responsible for this (subjective) 'improvement'.
Oddly enough my other Audio Technica headphones sound worse paired with the X-Can, they fare better with the headphones out of my integr. amp and CD Players.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #33 of 36
I think we are starting to see where the term 'audiophile' comes into play. It's always so funny to see the former make contact with regular audio enthusiasts.

I think I am only moderately ill as I only desire one set of cans, one amp, and one DAC, though the ones desired are admittedly stupid expensive.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 36
Hey Crazy*Carl,

I just got a CKKIII last night after 3 years on the SR225 without an amp (used PC headphone jack), and my immediate impression was a surprising fullness to the lower end and more impact.

I guess my point is similar to what another Headfier said in another thread: try your Senns with the iPod while completely abstaining from your EF2 for a while, and then "reintroduce" the EF2 to your system. If this sounds kind of silly since you spent nearly $200 on equipment with an obvious intent to use it, I agree... but if you believe the EF2 sounds similar enough to your iPod out, then the test itself shouldn't detract from your listening experience and may be worthwhile for you. For me, I think coming unamped to a CKKIII had a large influence on how I perceived the amp's effect... for a long time I was worried that an amp would not have much an impact on a 225 since they are so easy to drive.

Anyway, at least you got a decent DAC! That's my next order of business...

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol how much money do you have to spend on this? Not everyone can have multiple amps and multiple headphones.

You have multiple headphones... so I guess I don't understand why you don't understand that multiple amps might be required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another problem I see is that people want to buy one amp for all their headphones, but this isn't always easy to accomplish.

Case in point: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/700-spend-amp-456477/

Guy has 32ohm Grado headphones and 600ohm Beyers and wants to buy 1 amp to work with both of them. I just told him good luck, haha.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by foaming at the ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
: try your Senns with the iPod while completely abstaining from your EF2 for a while, and then "reintroduce" the EF2 to your system. If this sounds kind of silly since you spent nearly $200 on equipment with an obvious intent to use it, I agree... but if you believe the EF2 sounds similar enough to your iPod out, then the test itself shouldn't detract from your listening experience and may be worthwhile for you.

I have though about this before, but ill go ahead and give it a try, at least for a few hours, if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back