Amped Portapro for home use?
Jul 22, 2005 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Murdoch

500+ Head-Fier
I'm enjoying my ksc-75 more and more when I'm on the go. So much so that I'm thinking of picking up a portapro to use at home just for fun. Anyone use an amped porta-pro on their home rig? I'm curious to know what the result is like.

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I like my Portapro's for portability and they do fine without amplification, but, they're not comfortable enough to me for home use. I can't imagine a source that couldn't power them.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Try the KOSS UR-40 for amp or no amp home use. They are so very comfortable and have a full size sound with the ear cups going completely around the ears. Also they even fold up for portable use.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 6
I used to use Portapros as my gaming headphone. They worked just fine and provided some nice oomph for those occasional blasts that occured in Counterstrike
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't know, if you ask me, buying a PortaPro when you already own the KSC75 is redundant. They use the same driver, and in my experience, the PortaPro seemed to be way more bloated in the bass. Perhaps it was the fit, I'm not sure, but I am way happier with the KSC75's.

That money intended for the purchase of the PortaPro might be better served towards a 75 ohm adapter to use your KSC75's with your Headsave Classic. That should tame the boomy bass of the 75's and now you have a slightly more refined headphone for home use.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I don't know, if you ask me, buying a PortaPro when you already own the KSC75 is redundant. They use the same driver, and in my experience, the PortaPro seemed to be way more bloated in the bass. Perhaps it was the fit, I'm not sure, but I am way happier with the KSC75's.

That money intended for the purchase of the PortaPro might be better served towards a 75 ohm adapter to use your KSC75's with your Headsave Classic. That should tame the boomy bass of the 75's and now you have a slightly more refined headphone for home use.

Yeah, I decided the same thing today and just went to Ratschack and picked up a mini to 1/4" converter for my ksc-75. Gotta say that I was not impressed with its performance on my home rig- the bass just overwhelmed pretty much everything turning it into a muddy mess. I think I will try the 75-ohm adapter instead of picking up the portapro. Everyone raves about it, so it's gotta be worth trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back