amped ipod vs. unamped zune/other?
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dooodstevenn

Head-Fier
I've been reading that some players have better or worse output than others.  for example one would say "many of the ipods are designed to run efficiently and do not sound as well as a zune."  To me this seems like i can solve this problem with an amp and just giving it more power through a LOD.  But i was reading more and seems like different players just output different quality audio even if the file is the same?  Could someone explain this to me? does it have anything to do with amped vs unamped?  I usually play off my laptop and when im on the go off my phone, but i cannot amp my phone so i decided to get a cheap old ipod with a LOD to amp it, would that be better than a unamped zune? (or can you amp the zune too?) are some ipods better than others? why?

Super confused here, any help would be great.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I've been reading that some players have better or worse output than others.  for example one would say "many of the ipods are designed to run efficiently and do not sound as well as a zune."  To me this seems like i can solve this problem with an amp and just giving it more power through a LOD.  But i was reading more and seems like different players just output different quality audio even if the file is the same?  Could someone explain this to me? does it have anything to do with amped vs unamped?  I usually play off my laptop and when im on the go off my phone, but i cannot amp my phone so i decided to get a cheap old iPod with a LOD to amp it, would that be better than a unamped zune? (or can you amp the Zune too?) are some iPods better than others? why?

Super confused here, any help would be great.

You should be able to plug just about any portable headphone amplifier into the headphone jack of just about any portable audio (music) player (Apple & Zune included).
The Apple LOD port just allows you to get a (cleaner) analog audio signal from the Apple product by bypassing the headphone amplifier.

Try the website, anythingbutipod, for info and feedback on portable audio players.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 3
^^But some are not designed with line out capability like some cowons or android devices. So you would be double amping. Not that that's a bad thing it's just that you will not be using just the external amp alone.

Edit: Geez. I made a mess of that one... Sorry for the edits.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back