Amp3
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #1,621 of 2,090
Just got my replacement unit and will reserve comments till it has charged fully and I am out and about with it in a variety of situations. The only thing which I can be sure of is that the AMP3 has a lot of white noise; both this one and the old one are the same. Hopefully, however, the battery issue will be resolved in this one so I can get on with my formal testing!

Absolutely brilliant for acoustic music.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,622 of 2,090
Sorry shizgeo when you say white noise do you mean hiss with sensitive cans?

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,623 of 2,090
I have tested my AMP3 pro2 with ER4B and the stock earbud, I can almost hear no hiss even at the silent passage at the day time. Paring with SHure SE530, the hiss can be hear under volume of 10, but to my ear, it is not too bad for music listening, for I usually use the volume of 20-22 volume. with this volume, the hiss is not annoy me.

Maybe the PRO2 is some what picky phones. It is not fit for high sensitive phones. I don't know if add in an impedance adaptor will help to deal with this issue for these who have the very senstive phones.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #1,624 of 2,090
I have had a minor breakthrough of sorts in that I started listening more and more to the AMP3 with my UM3X/UM56 combo, and the hiss is still there, but with loud music (not quiet, or quiet passages) it sounds excellent. I had stayed away because of the hiss, but when the music is right, the Westones are a great match. If the hiss would disappear, they would easily be my preferred IEMs with the Amp3, over the S4 (which has absolutely no hiss).

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #1,626 of 2,090
I think I have found fix for the AMP3 Battery Charge LED problem.
Use the supplied Charger and cable,turn the volume down to Zero.
Mine now happily charges and the light goes out when complete.
I have two of these units,Black and Silver and this works on both.

Hope this helps...

atsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #1,627 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 200-300 ohm impedance adapter should eliminate, or almost eliminate the hiss with high sensitivity IEMs, such as the UM3X.

200-300 adapter! my 75 does help a little bit, but the impedance adapter dulls the sound by rolling off the treble by a good margin with all of my balanced armature earphones. in that case, I vastly prefer the hiss!

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,630 of 2,090
With certain dynamic phones, an impedance adapter does wonders for bringing out bass with very little treble problems, or at least the effect is much less, however, most balanced armature (multi-passover) models I have tried lose their sense of detail in treble as it gets severely rolled off.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #1,631 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With certain dynamic phones, an impedance adapter does wonders for bringing out bass with very little treble problems, or at least the effect is much less, however, most balanced armature (multi-passover) models I have tried lose their sense of detail in treble as it gets severely rolled off.

Does that have to do with the quality of the resistor used? I don't seem to recall that issue with the one BA I tried with an impedance adapter, the Cresyn C750E. It is now boxed and up for sale, so I am not going to try it again. Maybe tstarn can try his impedance adapter with the UM3X and see if he hears treble roll off and loses detail.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #1,632 of 2,090
I will,as soon as I can get to it. It is in my home entertainment center drawer, and the entire piece of furniture is stuffed into my kitchen as our wood flloor was completely refinished. By Monday, it will be dry enough to move all the stuiff back. Meantime, I can't get to the kitchen or the drawer.

But I do remember trying the 75ohm adapter I have and feeling it flattened or deadened the SQ on the UM3X with the Amp3. It did reduce the hiss, but at a cost. And that's why I decided to revisit those IEMs with the Amp3. I really dug listening to some tracks last night, but the quiet passeges/tracks were annoying. So I moved back to my Ksc35s (one of three phones I use with the Amp3).

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #1,633 of 2,090
I just bought the pro 2 yesterday evening and was very impress with the SQ right out from box. The hiss is not an issue for me with my ie8 either. Its only when i tried to plug in the ac power and play it at the same time that i get some very irritating noise/hiss.

Does the pro 1 have any equalizer settings? My pro 2 did not have any, although there is this equalizer setting "Nature" on my main playing screen but there is no equalizer options under the settings menu on the player.

Any of you guys with pro 2 have equalizer settings?

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #1,634 of 2,090
No, no EQ on Amp3s, Pro1 or Pro2. Nature is just a bad translation of natural, and not sure why it's there at all. Could be they had planned an EQ, but decided otherwise.

But, the Amp3 will "equalize" as it is burned in, to some extent. If you read way bad, it initially is a little on the bright side, but the longer it plays, the warmer it gets. I no longer have any problems on that front (didn't bother me early on either), and with the IE8s, you should be fine.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #1,635 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by toffeefan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the pro 2 yesterday evening and was very impress with the SQ right out from box. The hiss is not an issue for me with my ie8 either. Its only when i tried to plug in the ac power and play it at the same time that i get some very irritating noise/hiss.

Does the pro 1 have any equalizer settings? My pro 2 did not have any, although there is this equalizer setting "Nature" on my main playing screen but there is no equalizer options under the settings menu on the player.

Any of you guys with pro 2 have equalizer settings?

The AMP3 Pro.1 or 2 does not have any eq. possibilty. It sounds as it's presented, just like a true audiophile amp; no treble or bass controls or whatever that only will interfer or degrade the output.
The AMP3, will soundwise improve or settle with a period of burn-in time.
Then you can tune it to your preference by using IEM's, earbuds or headphones that suits your choice of music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back