AMP3...maybe not for me?
Oct 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

mortonjl

500+ Head-Fier
Posting this now as it was a reply earlier.
Gotta tell you, as good as SQ is on this baby, it's a pain in the *****. User friendly......ha ha. I've had to reset it several times in the 3 days I've had it not to mention I'll have to push the forward or play button several times to get a response once in a while. It skips occasionally when I try to go back or ahead and then freezes until I reset it. Good God, you shouldn't have to work this hard for something so simple. Seems not everyone is having these issues, maybe i got a lemon. There are way too many posts saying try this or that, this worked for me, if you want this you gotta do that and so forth. No user manual included and I'm on the road working with no computer access except my hotel room so I have to download the manual and go somewhere to print it, not sure if it's worth all that. Sound quality is exceptional but is not really portable, no case or clip, my 64GB touch out performs this all things considered. Hope the right people are listening, as I'm traveling 90% of the time, I can't see an upside right now. Rant over.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 31
I'd say not for you right now. Maybe in time, when they get things more user friendly/functional. To me, there have been plenty of warnings and/or caveats attached to the Amp3 in the threads, and it really is a niche player for hardcore users (read patient) only.

I'd ask for a refund from Whiplash, or wherever you bought it, and enjoy the 64GB Touch. Maybe a Clip+ is more for you, since you travel so much and want something small with good storage potential and SQ. I have one, and like it a lot, and it can hold up to 24GB with a 16GB sound card. In fact, that would be your best option, I think.

I have the Pro1, and I basically use it as a Shuffle. Load it with my favorite (and best recorded) tracks, hook up some phones (Grados or S4s, mostly), hit play (random mode) and relax. Admittedly, it is not a box for messing with too much.

To some, it's worth all that. To others, not so much. As for portability, I think it's small enough to take on walks, in the pocket or hand. No need for a case or clip, the way I use it.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 31
Well i think that the amp3 is a very quirky machine and it does take a while to find out what works for you and what doesn't. For me i just use mine in my regular mode and select artists and thats it. When i put it in random mode and i shut it down i would get really long boot times. Like 3 - 10 minutes.

I would say that you should either return it like tsarn said or trying to upgrade the FW i have the email somewhere so PM me your email address and i will send it to you. The SQ of this device is amazing and if you are willing to put up with some weirdness it will suit you just fine. Also the amp3 is like a tank you don't need a case or anything to use it on the go.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i put it in random mode and i shut it down i would get really long boot times. Like 3 - 10 minutes.

smily_headphones1.gif
Boot time on my SONY is none existent. It is always on! It has a reset button I never needed to press even one time. Finally an honest opinion about a so called niche market product! It just doesn't work, so simple is that.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 31
Maybe it is a good news to you. I have got the upgrade software of PRO2. The upgrade software has solved many flaws of your complains. You can contact with the store where you buy it from.

And I have got the noticethat don't misuse the softwares of pro1 and pro2, it have risk of damaging the player.

By the way, I also don't think 74MMX40X 20mm is bulky,on the contrary it quite sutable for me compare with other players. you see, the touch screen one is easy to be broken the screen on trip or outside.

Amp3 is the most solid player I have used. the brushed aluminum enclosure is very hard to be scratched.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have got the upgrade software of PRO2. The upgrade software has solved many flaws of your complains. You can contact with the store where you buy it from.

So which firmware are you using now? I'm using the pro2 with 5.41, have there been any updates to that yet?

Is there a website where I can check for updated firmwares and flashing software? Need a little push in the right direction to become self-sufficient.

Any help is appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I have got the noticethat don't misuse the softwares of pro1 and pro2, it have risk of damaging the player.

How exactly would one misuse the software? It either works or it doesn't--I cannot imagine there being a backdoor that users can easily access that would actually ruin the player.

-Nkk

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 31
As for me, I just never turn the things off. It can last more than 2 full days so I just leave it on and plug in every 2 nights. So I never have to worry about boot time.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Boot time on my SONY is none existent. It is always on! It has a reset button I never needed to press even one time. Finally an honest opinion about a so called niche market product! It just doesn't work, so simple is that.

Yeah, it just doesn't work. I guess the Amp3 isn't for you either.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 31
Well i think i have been very honest about my opinions of the amp3 player. Outside of SQ the amp3 doesn't have that many strengths. It is very small and has great battery life. But i don't like the UI especially when you compare it to my zunehd. I dont like the fact that it freezes and at times has a very long boot time. But when it comes down to it, for me and a lot of people on this website SQ is all that matters.

In a way i think that it speaks volumes that an mp3 player despite having so many problems can still draw me to use it everyday. I think i have been very honest about the flaws that the amp3 has, and i know that these flaws are being worked on and eliminated. But when i balance the flaws against its strengths especially in SQ. I still think the amp3 is a great product.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 31
X2. If you don't want to deal with the early hassles, don't buy it. But you will miss something, once you get the hang of its quirks - which we all hope are tamed some day. But even if it worked perfectly (no freezes, etc.), the screen is still not of much use to me, but the SQ is more than worth it. I'd venture to say not one Amp3 owner uses it as their only player or amp. It would be silly even.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. If you don't want to deal with the early hassles, don't buy it. But you will miss something, once you get the hang of its quirks - which we all hope are tamed some day. But even if it worked perfectly (no freezes, etc.), the screen is still not of much use to me, but the SQ is more than worth it. I'd venture to say not one Amp3 owner uses it as their only player or amp. It would be silly even.

Understand, but this version 2 of this product, isn't it? Sound quality is good, maybe even great, but is it that much above say a clip+ or others that don't have the issues? Seems the high dollar, sensitive cans don't mesh well here either, KSC 75 or S4 seems to be the norm, trying to figure that one out too.

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 31
I think that one thing to remember that as far as i know hisoundaudio dont have millions of dollars to put into the development of this player as some of the other companies you have mentioned.

Therefore this product will have a longer road before all the bugs have been gotten rid of. I am pretty sure that most of the bugs with the amp3 were unknown before they were shipped and it is the owners of amp3 that are getting them known and taken care of.

As for the high dollars cans i would say they work well with the amp3 except for the more sensitive IEMs. I have noticed hiss with my S4s but nothing that takes away from the music. I don't think that i have heard anyway say that the hiss is so bad that it takes away from their music.

But at the end of the day it comes down to if you feel the (imo) great sound quality is worth putting up with the FW issues.

To me and i am sure the other amp3 owners putting up quirky player is no problem especially considering on how much time and money we invest in the other things they listen too

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it just doesn't work. I guess the Amp3 isn't for you either.

Sure I like my portable DAP actually be portable and to play my DA. If I want resets, 10 minute restarts I just put windows 95 on a brick and play with that. Usability is a great feature I think. Am I missing something here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back