AMP3, Cowon S9 or Sony NWZ-X1060?
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mark_Louis

New Head-Fier
Hope you can help me guys in choosing among the three as my main DAP. I'm after sound quality, not looks. Video playing features are irrelevant because I don't like watching videos in small screens.

I don't like a separate amplifier.

Price is not an issue.

I listen to classical music.

By the way, I'm planning to get another DAP, but a really small one, for running/workout in the gym. I'm eyeing the Sansa Clip+ and the Sansa Fuze.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 11
TBH, as an owner of all three, I would say it's between the Sony X and the S9. I know you have read the comparison thread of those two players, and both are a good choice. I really believe that there is enough data between the S9/Sony X thread and the Sony X thread to make a decision, and no one can tell you which way to go. My reason for excluding the Amp3 is that it's a much different DAP than the other two, and while it sounds heavenly with the right phones, it's not mainstream enough to be a primary player in my view. Not yet, anyway.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd say if it's SQ you're after, the Sony X fits the bill best of the three. I currently have two of the three, and have also had the amp3 and compared it extensively. The Sony has the most organic, 3D, encompassing and detailed sound of the three... with the best bass extension. It is without any hint of coldness or digital sound to the whole frequency range.

There are dedicated threads about each DAP, so perhaps spend some time sifting through them, using 'search this thread' for certain keywords.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I am struggling too. I bought the X1060. if I gonna keep the player (not arrive yet) I will have to convert part of my collection (ogg and Flac) before adding them to the player where S9 can take it right the way and have more useful features for lower price. It is hard decision. btw, my IEM is UM3x, how is the hiss on S9 and X1060 ?

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Hiss is only a problem when it appears on a recording with either DAP in my view. Not so with the Amp3, but that's been well-documented on the Amp3 threads.

As for SQ, I rate the S9 and X as pretty much even, with each having strong qualities and minor flaws.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the replies!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sony website says that the X supports "MP3/ WMA/ AAC/ L-PCM". I understand that WMA can either be lossy or lossless. Does the X support both? I'm worried that the X will not support lossless.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 11
^ Sad. I've tried some Sony's before, and I really like the sound. Is there a Sony player that supports lossless formats? I've never tried Cowon, but the reviews are very good.

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 11
L-PCM=WAV which is lossless. But these files are huge. Cowon DAP's support FLAC and these files sound great too and are half the size of WAV-files.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 11
I have the S9 and I like its jeteffects features which have heaps of great equalizer settings. Never before have I used an equalized setting, I usually prefer the normal setting but now I am really impressed. I was planning to get an X series and 2 A series walkmans to fit in all my other music but now I'm thinking maybe buy more S9s just for the jeteffects feature... I really like the video too. I have Judge Dredd on there which is not available on DVD in Australia and also the video for Afrika Shox. I like the small screen. Don't know if it's good for Classical music though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back