Amp without volume pot???
Aug 28, 2005 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
Since I have a very nice preamp, the thought of putting my music through the types of volume pots in most of the amps out there isn't appealing.

Is there a way to use my preamp going directly into a headphone amp, bypassing a volume pot?

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 10
The pure way is to remove the pot from the signal path altogether.

Or better yet, if you have one built, have it built without one.

If you are using a preamp, it is preferrable to not have any volume control in the amp at all, but this would not allow you to use the amp by itself.

Just remember to pay attention to lower the volume of your preamp before switching to your headphone amp.

-Ed

Aug 28, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Use a switch. But remember to switch both sides of the pot. If you bypass the pot without taking it out of the circuit and it's turned really low, then the source will see a really low impedance and you'll get garbage.

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 10
So I could just bypass it? That's pretty simple. I was thinking it would be more complex.

Sep 4, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 10
I was thinking of getting a custom amp that bypasses the volume, but if i can just bypass it myself, that might be better.

Sep 4, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi,

One of my amps has no volume control. Why? Because the source connected to it have a volume control which cannot be bypassed.

I also have a passive preamp. (Series Stepper) This is for future when I get a WICKED EXPENSIVE source. But for now, it's a paper weight.

Personally, I have no problems with pots (GOOD pots). I have these black Nobel pots. I hear Panasonic pots are great (and expensive). I also hear some digital volume controls are superb.

Ciao! T

P.S. Forgot. My source connects to my amp directly. Or if the amp has no volume control, I insert my passive preamp.

Sep 5, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 10
You know after all the talk on this forum of keeping volume controlls, capacitors, transformers, etc out of the signal path, and after putting considerable effort into building my system around such a theory, My main amp has an ALPS RK27, and electrolytic caps on the pre-outs, and probably in the signal too. On top of that the best sound i ever got out of my system involved putting transformers in the signal path.

I'm just wondering is it all that bad or is it just prejudice against it?

Sep 5, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow Garbz,

Are those input coupling transformers? I heard those are great for isolating the source from the amplifier stage. You gotta tell me how it sounds.

Thanks, T

P.S. Prejudice? Ah. I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone have it. I had it. I hated electrolytics in the signal path. Look at me now. I have a stash of electrolytics for coupling! (I lately cycle amps. Listening to one amp gets boring after while. Im listening to YAHA right now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back