Amp Without Volume Control?
Aug 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cconnaker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys - I'm starting to listen to more DACs through headphones. This is great with DACs that offer headphone output and volume control. I run into issues with DACs that offer volume control without a headphone output. For example the dCS Debussy has volume control without headphone output. I would like to connect DACs with volume controls to a headphone amplifier without a volume control. This will allow me to evaluate the volume control built into the DAC much easier. 

Are there any headphone amps without volume control?

Alternatively, are there any headphone amps that enable switching between variable attenuation and zero attenuation?

Thanks guys!

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 5
I think the only way is to DIY. All the headamps on the market come with volume controls, somebody tell me if im wrong? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 5
+1
Just max out the amp, though some amps do go beyond it's 'normal' level of gain - not sure if headphone amps do that.  I'm guessing most people would tell you to max out your DAC volume and use the one on the amp though

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
+1
Just max out the amp, though some amps do go beyond it's 'normal' level of gain - not sure if headphone amps do that.  I'm guessing most people would tell you to max out your DAC volume and use the one on the amp though

My first thought is the amps would go beyond normal gain and produce less than stellar sound. A single volume control is always more desirable. I wonder why nobody has built high end headphone amps without volume control that connect to a preamp or DAC. There are some wonderful over the top designs so I can't believe it's a cost thing. Maybe I'm the only guy who actually wants such an item :~)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back