amp within $300 range, need help
Jul 6, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zool

500+ Head-Fier
Hi every one, I've been out of the scene for quite some time now.. So I really have no idea what to look for. Well I'm looking for a good amp within the price range of about $200-300. I'd prefer solid state but Little Dot MK III looks very interesting. Looking for for some advice here, any help is very much appreciated. I want to drive my AT A900's with this amp so maybe a little bit on the warm side?

Thank you.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 11
Hello!

I have a LD mkIII and i'm thrilled with it. Haven't heard the AT's but the amp has a warm sound with it's stock tubes. Very smooth indeed. I think it's a good entry point to the world of tube amps and the tube rolling possibilities ensure that you never get bored.

It all depends on what do you like. It would be best to try any tube amp before you buy one just to check if you like what you hear.

I know for sure (the only and most important thing) that the Little Dot and Sennheiser HD600 combo sounds heavenly to my ears.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 11
You could try the Darkvoice 336se.
cool.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 11
from what I've read the little dot amps are allot of amp for what they cost. I think maybe the warm tube sound might be good for my A900 but I still don't like the idea that I will have to replace the tubes at some time.. I mean you never know how long they might last.

Little Dot MK V has also caught my eye.. Seems like a very nice SS amp. I've always wanted to try a dual-mono amp too.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Original Master is a great solid state desktop amp. You can get it for 200 bucks IIRC at AAA audio. It's not a FOTM and I don't think it's hyped up too much on the forums but it's a fine amp, especially for the money.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 11
The Little Dot MK V is a great amp. as a matter of fact Im also selling mine too...

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think maybe the warm tube sound might be good for my A900 but I still don't like the idea that I will have to replace the tubes at some time.. I mean you never know how long they might last.

The tubes can last for a couple of years, no problem. Spending $50 on tubes is not such an investment over that period of time, IMO.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutric08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tubes can last for a couple of years, no problem. Spending $50 on tubes is not such an investment over that period of time, IMO.

Yeah, probably but how do you really know.. aren't tubes kind of like a light bulb?.. most of em last a certain period of time but a couple might burn out pretty quick. I don't really like the Idea of not knowing when it's going to stop working.. should I turn it on and off so often etc.

Maybe I don't really need to worry about this ****.. just feels like with a SS amp you don't even have to think about stuff like that.

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 11
If you are thinking that SS amps are more reliable think twice. If you SS amp dies you can throw it away or change a lot of components to make it work again and it can die as easily and suddenly as any other component.

Tube amps, on the other hand, are more versatile. When they stop working its probably just the tube. You change it in 20 sec and continue enjoying the music. And you can alter the sound signature by using different tubes in addition.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 11
I guess..

But looking at the specs between MK III and MK V, it would seem as the MK V would do a better job driving low impedance cans.

The MK V can deliver 500mW @ 32Ohm while MK III only delivers 100mW @ 32Ohm. So on paper the MK V sould be more powerful amp with the cans I'm using (A900, 40Ohm).

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, I ended up getting the MKIII after all and I don't regret it for a second. I'm now just past the 80h mark of burn-in and I must say it sounds absolutely wonderful. Not sure of how much more change in burn-in I have to look forward to but the highs could sound a bit smoother with my A900's.. They do sound a bit "glassy" at times, other wise it's a very enjoyable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back