Amp with very low resistance IEM
Oct 5, 2005 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using my westone ES2's daily with a Headroom Airhead, but because of the very low resistance of the ES2's I can hear a lot of hissing from the airhead.
I'm liking the sound of the airhead so I want to keep on using it (or a better amp which can handle this IEM).
How can I get rid of the hissing sound? (without altering the sound signature) I've tried a ES4P/S adapter but didn't like the veil it created.

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 13
why not upgrade to the SR-71 or SMv5?

If you spend that much on headphones why not get a nice portable amp. There are other better portables as well but these are my suggestions.

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
why not upgrade to the SR-71 or SMv5?

If you spend that much on headphones why not get a nice portable amp. There are other better portables as well but these are my suggestions.

The airhead was my first step in the wondorous world of headphone amps, first take a little step (ex71), then take a new step (E2), then jump, cry and look at the empty wallet (ES2).

Oct 5, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
The airhead was my first step in the wondorous world of headphone amps, first take a little step (ex71), then take a new step (E2), then jump, cry and look at the empty wallet (ES2).

so this would be a small step them. SMv5 and then you can play with the opamps.

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 13
or get an level attenuator (read: higher impedance plug).

I can hear the noise floor with the volume on the lowest possible setting (and sometimes when off) with everything I've tried my super.fi 5 pro's in. (without the attenuator)

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk
(read: higher impedance plug).

I believe that's just what he doesn't want. He said he tried the ER-4P/S converter already, which is increasing the overall impedance. IMHO chris is correct, my SM3 v3 helped to make my ER-4Ps less hissing when compared to
the headphone out of my iHP-120.

@chris

I thought it was a typo, but no, there's really a SM3 v5 coming! Damn it, Xin's changing those little babies at a pretty fast pace.... I just skimmed his new post in his forum about this new amp. Let's see how it will compete with Rays soon-to-be Hornet amp....

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 13
I was using UM2's with a Total Airhead. I'm pretty sure they have the same impedance as the ES2. I had the same annoying hiss problem. I returned the Total Airhead and ordered a Headamp AE-1. No more hiss at all. Also, the AE-1 seems to have a great synergy with my UM2's. It really enhances the sound of the headphones, which is something the Total Airhead did not do at all. More clarity,detail, and warmth. The AE-1 is $350, 200 more than an Airhead, but well worth it. I thought I might miss the crossfeed option with the AE-1, but it doesn't even seem like its necessary, or more likely I don't even notice.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I was using UM2's with a Total Airhead. I'm pretty sure they have the same impedance as the ES2. I had the same annoying hiss problem. I returned the Total Airhead and ordered a Headamp AE-1. No more hiss at all. Also, the AE-1 seems to have a great synergy with my UM2's. It really enhances the sound of the headphones, which is something the Total Airhead did not do at all. More clarity,detail, and warmth. The AE-1 is $350, 200 more than an Airhead, but well worth it. I thought I might miss the crossfeed option with the AE-1, but it doesn't even seem like its necessary, or more likely I don't even notice.

You was using it, why did you stop/ changed your mind?

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusH
I believe that's just what he doesn't want. He said he tried the ER-4P/S converter already, which is increasing the overall impedance. IMHO chris is correct, my SM3 v3 helped to make my ER-4Ps less hissing when compared to
the headphone out of my iHP-120.

@chris

I thought it was a typo, but no, there's really a SM3 v5 coming! Damn it, Xin's changing those little babies at a pretty fast pace.... I just skimmed his new post in his forum about this new amp. Let's see how it will compete with Rays soon-to-be Hornet amp....

It sure helps lowering the hiss, but it makes the overall sound sound more veiled. Lookes like the SM3v5 is not ready just yet, but it sure looks interessing enough!

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 13
First I started really noticing the hiss when using the Total Airhead, so I tried the UM2"s straight from the source unamped and I didn't notice much of a difference in the sound. In fact, to my ears it sounded better without the Total Airhead. The only difference a Total Airhead made was the crossfeed, and really that's not a very compelling reason to carry around an amp. So I decided to return it. I wasn't sure at that point whether or not to just go ampless or try a better amp. Decided to try the AE-1, and it just fits with the UM2's. I don't know if you got a Gigabag to go with that Airhead, but the AE-1 works with that just as well.

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 13
A properly-built cmoy won't hiss.

From what I've tried, the SR-71, portaphile, and Micro Amp don't hiss with low-impedance canalphones.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 13
2 (left,right) discrete diamond buffers with medium-large (like 50-150 ohm) output resistors.
dual 9-v split in the middle psu.... no transistors, no "rail splitter" chip, no resistor divider: grado ra1 style.
nice caps in the psu. also smaller film or silver-micca caps closer to the actual circuits.
perhaps an alps blue pot, if your feeling like you need smooth control...

chances are good your portable already makes more than adequate voltage output at a "virtual volume knob" level that is very quiet (if it has any audible noise at all.) why use gain if you dont need to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back