amp with some thump?
Jan 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
The pimeta->MS1 combo right now is pretty good but sometimes it seems lacking in the bass department. I know that the MS1s are capable of some solid bass because I can hook them up to my old receiver and be in bass heaven. However the rest of the musical spectrum is sort of lacking on that headphone out and it has a lot of noise. Basically I want to know what somewhat low priced amp (think under $250 and DIY is an option) will let me rock out on my MS1s. Guitars should have the same amount of fun and energy to them but I want to feel the thump of some bass. Even just an amp that offers an adjustment on the amount of bass could be good.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 7
you can add bass boost to a pimeta.
if you get the tubes that are "right" for this task, you can tweak the millet hybrid a bit.
and you cna have a bnch of other amps built from new with bass boost (m3, ppl, etc) price may go a bit overboard though.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Since you mentioned DIY as an option, my suggestion is a PPAS with the AD8058/LM6171/LMH6321 configuration. I had one built for me by ATAT and with my Ety ER4Ps (notoriously bass-shy) the bass is amazing--full but not overpowering. The PPAS bass output is equivalent to my M Hornet. The highs and mids are very clear as well. I currently prefer my PPAS to my Hornet and it would be significantly cheaper to build or have built. Here is the link to the PPAS build tread. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=ppas Contact ATAT or DieInAFire for PPAS boards. Hope this helps!
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Personally I'm not a fan of using equalization to compensate for bass shy drivers or lack of power.....

The maudio faith amp looks like it could fit the bill, and it's pretty cheap at $150.00 shipped. I just ordered one for my MS2's.

http://www.mseedlabs.org/

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 7
No its not for portable use. I won't rule out portable amps but I pretty much only use music on the go when I'm working out.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 7
My prior recommendation for the PPAS was based on my assumption that you were looking at portable amps. For stationary DIY amps, I would recommend a M^3 amp without hestitation. You can opt for a bass boost. You also have the ability to roll opamps to tailor the sound to your liking (I am currently using AD843s for their bass presentation). I had one built to me by MisterX and it was slightly under $300 (bass boost, internal TREAD power supply). I would think that you could build one yourself within your budgeted amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back