Amp with 1/4" and 1/8" input for general listening?
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Heir Audio 8.A's and a Hifiman HE-500. In a perfect world I would love to be able to use both of these with the same amp. I know, I'm crazy. So far the best option I can find is the Woo Audio WA-7 but I was hoping to avoid tubes this go around if at all possible.

Budget is somewhere in the range of the WA-7 or less. Less is better, clearly. I'm probably going to sell my Schiit Lyr and Bifrost as part of this whole shake-up so if there was any way I could get something that was as much or less than what I could get for those that'd be perfect, haha.

Music listening is pretty eclectic, mostly rock but a fair bit of jazz, electronic and loads of time just spent with movie scores.

I'd prefer something neutral given I'm pretty pleased with how both headphones sound as they are. I hear the WA-7 improves the bass on the HE-500, which I don't think would be an issue.

Suggestions?

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 8
O2 will drive both with a silent background, but you might be able to find better because HE500 could use the juice.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not worried about the power, you can actually get them built with different GAIN steps for the high and low that would work. The only downside is I'd have to use my IEMs with an adapter.

What sort or adapter, or do you mean a resistor?

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 8
You're probably going to have to use an adapter for one of them as most amps have either one jack or the other.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 8
You're probably going to have to use an adapter for one of them as most amps have either one jack or the other.

That does seem to be the case. This side of the WA-7 there doesn't seem to be a single other AMP that I can find that has both. Even when they have two (which is rare enough) they're usually the same size.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Using an adapter isn't a problem for as I purposely keep a Grado 6.5 to 3.5 in my O2 all the time to protect the jack. I wish it came with 1/4" jacks instead as I prefer to have that as my standard size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back