Amp vs Sound Card Help- Total Newbie to good sound
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Infernum

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've got a slight problem. I recently bought Superlux HD668Bs and a Asus Xonar DS 7.1. The Superlux's came in before the Xonar, and now that I've installed the Xonar I don't notice much of a sound difference, although it's louder. Here's my problem, I don't know if I should return the Xonar and get an FiiO E10 or E11, if I return, which amp should I get?

Thanks in advance, Infernum.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi, I've got a slight problem. I recently bought Superlux HD668Bs and a Asus Xonar DS 7.1. The Superlux's came in before the Xonar, and now that I've installed the Xonar I don't notice much of a sound difference, although it's louder. Here's my problem, I don't know if I should return the Xonar and get an FiiO E10 or E11, if I return, which amp should I get?

Thanks in advance, Infernum.

The Xonar DS is a good value, but does not come with a headphone amplifier and I assume it's headphone output has a high impedance.
If all you want is two channel audio, then get the Fiio E10 ($75) USB-DAC-headphone amplifier.
The Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) and DGX ($43, PCI-E) sound cards come with a built in headphone amplifier.
I would think the Xonar DG(X) is about as much as anyone would want to spend for the HD668B headphones.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Well  if you do return the card, I would go with the the FiiO E10, it is a nifty little unit that sounds pretty good for what it is although I also cannot guarantee you will hear much difference in sound quality as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back