Amp Volume Control or Computer Volume Control (Lepai Amp)
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DylanMiranda

New Head-Fier
Hey i just got my lepai amp and remember reading something about where to control the volume and cant seem to find it. So just wondering should i use the knob on the amp itself to control the volume or the Computer Volume. Or even the Spotify Volume. 
Thanks

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 11
In the end it is all about preventing clipping both on the input side and output side of the amp.

I always set my PC volume controls to 100% and use the amp to control the volume.  This prevents having to turn up the amp too far and clipping the tops of the signals.  I would say stay between 50% and 90% on PC volume to be safe and error on the side of higher.

When I listen to my PC I set the Windows volume controls all to 100%, set my Grace Design m903 DAC volume to 86%, and set my BUDA amp to where it needs to be for a particular headphone which for the K712 Pro is around 1/3 CW rotation on high gain.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 11
In the end it is all about preventing clipping both on the input side and output side of the amp.

I always set my PC volume controls to 100% and use the amp to control the volume. . . .

+1

Also, my experience with the Lepai t-amp is that it does well maybe up to about 1 o'clock on the dial, and that the tone control tends to distort the sound a little.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always set my PC volume controls to 100% and use the amp to control the volume.  This prevents having to turn up the amp too far and clipping the tops of the signals.

You cannot prevent clipping by turning up volume more. A low input level and high volume setting on the amp does not result in clipping (just more noise), assuming that the amp is even capable of the given output level at all. In other words, clipping is caused by too high signal levels (on the output, or - depending on the design of the amp - the input), and not volume knob positions.

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

You cannot prevent clipping by turning up volume more. A low input level and high volume setting on the amp does not result in clipping (just more noise), assuming that the amp is even capable of the given output level at all. In other words, clipping is caused by too high signal levels (on the output, or - depending on the design of the amp - the input), and not volume knob positions.

Turn your PC volume down to 5% and the volume knob up to 100% on most amps will instantly result in obvious clipping.  Almost every amp I know of clips at some point due to low input amplitude.  The amp tries to apply more gain via volume pot and just cannot keep up with the power demand.

The volume knob controls the signal output last time I checked via attenuating the input voltage.  If you do not have the power the signal clips.

Turning up the volume ( output from the PC ) can prevent early clipping of the amp.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 11

Turn your PC volume down to 5% and the volume knob up to 100% on most amps will instantly result in obvious clipping.  Almost every amp I know of clips at some point due to low input amplitude.

Clipping, by definition, is caused by too high amplitude (not gain, not volume knob position, but an actual signal level that is too high). If an amp clips under the conditions you described, it is because it has excess gain even with the PC volume turned down so much (unlikely). Increasing the input voltage does not increase the output clipping voltage (in other words, you cannot magically turn an amp capable of 50 W maximum power output without clipping into a 200 W one by feeding it twice as high input voltage).

The volume knob controls the signal output last time I checked via attenuating the input voltage.  If you do not have the power the signal clips.

The signal output always depends on the level of the input signal, in addition to the volume control, and the gain. The whole reason why you need to turn up the volume is that the input level is too low. If, for example, the amp clips at 20 Vrms output voltage, and has 26 dB gain, then either a 2 Vrms input at -6 dB volume, or a 1 Vrms input at full volume would just reach that level; the first case has 6 dB of excess gain. With a 0.5 Vrms input and maximum volume, it would simply output 10 Vrms without clipping; in this case, there is not enough gain to reach the clipping level at all.

Too high input level, on the other hand, can cause clipping in some amplifiers, and when that happens, it does not even depend on the volume setting on the amp. Examples include the FiiO E9 (it clips a 2.1 Vrms input), and the O2, depending on its gain setting.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Okay thanks i set my pc controls to 76% and use the amp to get to the volume i need which is around 10 o'clock. Regarding the music player used (spotify for me) i guess it doesnt really matter? i just put spotify's volume to 100%

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 11
I would personally try the Windows volume control at between 90 to 100%. There should be no need to attenuate the volume that much before sending it to the Lepai.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 11
What ever you do I wouldn't let the windows signal go above 0.0 dB. 100% is not necessarily 0.0 dB (0.0 dB could be 90% for example, though that's the case usually with line in and microphone), it depends in what soundcard you have. You can switch the value by right clicking it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Ill check out whether im going above 0.0db. Does anyone know anything about the tone/direct controls on the lepai? my speakers arent exactly the best but i feel that i get more kick (bass) and clarity setting the tone on the amp. Should i control this through the amp or should i use a equalizer on my computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back