Amp voltage. I am dumb... need help. Live in Japan. What will work?????
Jan 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
Like the subject says I live in Japan. 100v 60hz. 
What will work here? Up until now I never had to worry about it. With AC/DC adapters there is no problem. Game consoles. Phone chargers. Things with motors don't work: hair dryers, hair clippers, etc? 

What about amps?

I emailed JDS labs and asked about the O2 amp. This was their reply: 
"Yes, O2+ODAC can be used in Japan. Any 14-20VAC transformer with a standard barrel plug will suffice"
So if I buy get the USA plug (which is that same as the USA, class A) it will work with no problems? 

I emailed the same question to the guys over at Schiit about the Magni. 
(sorry I lost the email) they said it would NOT work in Japan. I needed a step down transformer. 

Sorry. I just don't get what will work and what will not. 
The o2+ODAC combo are actually sold in Japan web store. 
I can't find any Schiit models. 
Stuff like the Bravo and Indeed are sold here. 

I am heading to the states in 3 days. I would like to pick up an amp but have no idea if it will work back in Japan. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Some products accept a DC power supply. This means that the A/C power is not actually going into the unit itself. They have a power transformer that converts the A/C power into the DC power required by the unit. These are the "wall warts" or inline transformers typically found on laptop computers, phone chargers and other electronic devices that have some sort of box between the wall plug and the actual unit itself. The unit (like the O2) actually needs a DC voltage and amperage to operate. In the USA, I would buy a "wall wart" that can plug into our 115v/60 cycle wall outlets, and supplies the 14 to 20 volts DC to the O2. In Japan, you would buy a "wall wart" that can plug into 100v/60 cycle wall outlet and supplies the same 14 to 20 volts DC to the O2.

Now, some devices do NOT accept a DC power supply. They have the AC->DC power supply built-in to their chassis. There is not "wall wart" or other external box that supplies DC power - the AC power goes directly into the unit. These can ONLY be used if the power supply built-in to the chassis can accept 100v/60 Hz AC power. Some units are very flexible in this regard, and as long as you get an adapter to make the physical connection at the wall work, the power supply will handle it. Some are NOT and you can smoke the unit and/or cause a fire by plugging them in to the wrong AC power source.

So - Schiit doesn't use a wall wart, and if they say you can't plug their amp into 100v/60 Hz, then you can't. The O2 uses a wall wart, so if you get the correct wall wart, then you can use it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Thank you. I understand perfectly. 
For the Schiit I need a step-up transformer. Will this add any noise to the amps signal? 

On the JDS website they say that I need an AC-AC adapter. I am having trouble find one in Japan. Just harder for me to search for it with the language barrier. http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/O2_Power_Adapters.pdf

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Ahh - OK - I misread that on the O2. Sorry about that. Yes, you need a 14-20v AC wall wart. Those are a little more difficult to find than the AC->DC wall warts, but they are out there. Unfortunately, I can't help you with where to find them in Japan, or even where to find one that will work from the Japan mains.

Many years ago I had a very bad experience with one of those typical "travel power conversion kits" like you can get at most any department store. I was in Thailand and didn't really understand the maximum wattage rating of the transformer. I tried to use it with something that pulled too many amps, and *poof* I smoked that transformer. What's worse is that after I smoked it, I figured out that the device I was using was actually capable of being plugged directly into the wall, and all I really needed was the physical plug adapter.

OK - here's a completely off-the-wall suggestion. Why not just get an amp that can be plugged in via USB? For example, a Fiio E17. That avoids the entire problem - you can just plug the amp into your PC or a readily available USB power cube.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 7
"OK - here's a completely off-the-wall suggestion. Why not just get an amp that can be plugged in via USB? For example, a Fiio E17. That avoids the entire problem - you can just plug the amp into your PC or a readily available USB power cube." 

I really have my heart set on the ODAC. I want the ability to try different amps down the line. but maybe seeing how hard that may be.. its pointless, or atleast not worth the trouble.  

They sell Objective 2 in Japan. The thing is on Amazon, it does NOT come the adapter. I found a couple on Rakuten. but they are 40$ more than the US price. 
I can get this: AT-HA21. But have no idea how well it stacks up against the Schiit or JDS amps. Its a big seller in Japan. A few guys on head-fi imported one, but they didn't post much about it. 
They have a Topping amp and a firestone amp. But even Head-fi has next to nothing on those amps. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 7
  "OK - here's a completely off-the-wall suggestion. Why not just get an amp that can be plugged in via USB? For example, a Fiio E17. That avoids the entire problem - you can just plug the amp into your PC or a readily available USB power cube." 

I really have my heart set on the ODAC. I want the ability to try different amps down the line. but maybe seeing how hard that may be.. its pointless, or atleast not worth the trouble.  

They sell Objective 2 in Japan. The thing is on Amazon, it does NOT come the adapter. I found a couple on Rakuten. but they are 40$ more than the US price. 
I can get this: AT-HA21. But have no idea how well it stacks up against the Schiit or JDS amps. Its a big seller in Japan. A few guys on head-fi imported one, but they didn't post much about it. 
They have a Topping amp and a firestone amp. But even Head-fi has next to nothing on those amps. 

Buy the amp and DAC that you want.  You guys are making it sound like no one has ever converted a US device to Japanese voltage.  I seriously, seriously doubt that is true.  Make your product selection first, then determine what you have to do to make Japanese line voltage convert to the US device.

They are two completely separate questions.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Actually, it depends on the device. For the schiit amps you need a voltage step down transformer. A step down device is no small matter. Takes a separate plug, weigh about 8 lbs. and will probably add noise to the signal.
The jds labs, on the other hand will be fine as long as I find an acac adapter that will give correct output for 100 volts which I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back