Amp upgrade
Jul 29, 2005 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Since I bought my current amp - the Corda HA-1 MkII - I upgraded almost all my rig and bought a TT. Thus I'm looking for better performance from my head-amp. My budget is around $800, options that come to mind are...
- Corda HA-2 MkII
- Singepower ( PPX3 ) with a few upgrades maybe...
- Emmeline HR-2
- X-Can V3 and the dedicated X-PSU ( I know I know
rolleyes.gif
- but maybe )

What do you recommend, I'm mostly looking for better detailing and bigger sound.

Thx !

BTW, you can see my rig in my signature.

Jul 30, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Axel: Are you in Europe? Not that it really matters, but you may want to also consider the original Prehead - I see Jan still has 5 of these at very good pricing. Absolutely killer with Senn 6x0, Beyer DT880, etc. No slouch with Grado either.

From your list of candidates I also like the PPX3/MPX3 or HR2 very much, too.

What cans do you have? Do you only play vinyl now, or digital also - what TT and CDP (if applicable)? Finally, and most importantly, what music or sonic preferences?

My Prehead suggestion is from my experience based on your wanting "better detailing and bigger sound".

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 6
If you're looking for natural sound (as in closer to how you hear in real life), I would say look for an amp with a crossfeed design that appeals to you. I use the Meier crossfeed on my HA-2. It astounds me that many people pay so much for headphone amps, yet don't really seem to care about crossfeed.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
you may want to also consider the original Prehead

Thanks, but I talked with Jan and he said that "The Prehead is no true option, unless I really need the preamplifier functionality ( and I don't... ), the HA-2 MkII is definitely better sounding than the Prehead".

Quote:

What cans do you have?

HD650 ( as seen in my signature ).

Quote:

Do you only play vinyl now, or digital also - what TT and CDP (if applicable)?

Both. My TT is a VPI Scout and my CDP is a Meridian 588.

Quote:

Finally, and most importantly, what music or sonic preferences?

I mostly listen to classical music, jazz and 70's progressive rock. I very much care for the midrange "magic", detailing and big/full sound - deep bass is "nice to have" but not essential.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 6
my 6CG7 PPX3 with solen stage 1 upgrade definitely has a big full sound and a great midrange. i have yet to hear any deep bass in music that the PPX3 has been unable to deliver with authority. i owned an HA-1 MKII before i got the Singlepower, and it was a great upgrade. i posted a tube rolling guide for the PPX3, which might be of some assistance if you go with a 6CG7 PPX3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back