Amp upgrade time?
Jan 10, 2002 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Snufkin

500+: Audio Dealer: Headphonic (Australia)
I'm wondering if I should upgrade/crossgrade my amp to better suit my setup and listening tastes..

At the moment I'm driving different Beyer sets from my X-Cans and I'm wondering if it's not the best combination.
Basically I got the X-Cans at a REALLY good price otherwise I would have gone for the Creek OBH-11SE. Difference being about twice-three times the price for the Creek.

My options are as follows:
Get upgraded PSU for X-Cans.
Sell X-Cans and 'upgrade' to Corda, Creek or other amp.
Stick with what I have for now.

The music I listen to ranges from various rock(led zeppelin to inxs) to 80s rock/pop (thomas dolby to simple minds) to industrial (leaether strip/frontline assembly) to trance/techno/goa.

The Beyer headphones are all ~250ohms, (except for the 250-80s)

And yes, I do have a budget - less is better for me right now
tongue.gif

I'd really appreciate input from other Beyer 770pro/990pro owners on this one.
Any recommendations/suggestions?

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Basically I got the X-Cans at a REALLY good price otherwise I would have gone for the Creek OBH-11SE.

Well, I've heard the 770's on both, and I preferred the X-CAN, but I have a X-PSU, so...my vote is for the X-PSU.

The Creek and the MF have a somewhat similar sound. If you're frustrated with the sound, you might consider going to a tube amp.[/EVANGELIZE]

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I would not recommend buying the Creek. This is strange because I'm a happy Creek owner, but at the same time I feel that there isn't an amp out there that'll blow my mind for at least twice the price (700 USD = Naim Headline + PS). Save your pennies, for a kickass amp/ ps upgrade. I would also say that anybody who's spoiled with a dedicated headphone system might dislike the obh-11's slight veiling of details (with basic ps anyway). Ooops, you mean SE. Well, that is detailed but still not exactly sweet on the treble.

Jan 11, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 5
So I'd really notice a difference upgrading the PSU for my amp?

I don't have a real problem with the way things sound now, but it's always good to have better if I can do so without spending much
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Honestly, I've got to say that I did not hear a difference in sound with my obh-11 ps upgrade. Back then, I had a terrible source and equally bad wires. I do plan on getting that ps back to maximize the amp's performance.

I think of it like buying a car. Its nice to scrape your savings together to get a luxury sedan, even if it's the base model. However it makes more sense to get the loaded version if the upgrade path is reasonable. It is a luxury car after all. Why not indulge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back