Amp upgrade path for HD-650 - what next after MicroAmp?
Oct 3, 2006 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AndyRx7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I guess I'm looking for some general advice on possible amp upgrade paths. Right now I'm using the Headroom microstack, which I really enjoy, but I suppose that I'm looking to explore a bit beyond this in terms of amplification. In particular, I'd really like to try a tube amp.

For this exercise I'll assume that my headphones of choice will remain the HD-650 w/ Zu cable, and my source will remain the Headroom MicroDAC.

My budget would be about $800, maximum, and doesn't have to be all spent. I don't care at all about portability / transportability, it can be as big and heavy as necessary! I would be open to purchasing a used amp.

One of my major questions is whether I should stay on the Headroom path, or diverge. Along this path, I could start by:

1) Picking up the Headroom DPS. I would then have to wait a while longer before upgrading my amp (due to funds), but I would be open to choosing options like Home modules. The issue I have with this choice, though, is I'm not sure whether the $400 for the DPS will be worth it in the interrim, i.e. whether I will notice much of an improvement to my microstack to make my upgraditus happy for now. The other thing is, this may sort of lock me into the Headroom path, as the DPS doesn't work w/ other brands of gear as I understand.

2) Trade up my MicroAmp for a Desktop Amp, in particular a Millett Hybrid. I like this option, but I guess I'm wondering whether other choices would be a better bang for my buck.

My other option is to try something completely different and move away from the Headroom path... I'm not sure what the best contenders would be to match with the HD650 in my price range.

Any recommendations?

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 4
In the bang for your buck category you might look for a used DIY amp (if you can find one you like). My personal choice for a SS amp for the HD650 would be a PPA V2, but clearly I'm biased
smily_headphones1.gif
. Otherwise there's a lot of good things being said about some of Eddie Current's more recent offerings (the Lunchbox, EC-01 and EC/SS). You'll have to search around here for that info as EC's website hasn't been updated in a while, he's too busy building I think.

There are quite a few threads here that should be able to offer you some good advice. Take your time, poke around.

Nate

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the Senn HD600 with the Headphile Senn V2 using Black Silver wich I used with the Headroom Micro Amp w/ the 2006 Desktop Module. A couple of upgrades are:

-Heed CanAmp
-Musical Fidelity X-Can V3

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 4
What are the opinions as regards of tube vs SS ?
I'd really like to get some tube amp, but I heard SS would be better for rock music. Any experiences ?

thx
--G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back