Amp under $300
Jul 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to feel the urge to upgrade lately, so I've been thinking of a pair of AKG K701/2. Is there any amp in the $300-and-lower range that adequately drives them?

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 14
What is your source? I would look for a used HEED canamp, as it has wonderful synergy with the 701. Also take a look at the Shanling PH-100, which goes for around $200.

One more suggesstion: if you are up for adventure, you can always try DIY. There are pretty many cheaper DIY amps that can power the 701 well, because many are hybrid or SS.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll do some research on those amps. I'm going to use two sources; an EMU 0404 USB and an old early 90s Pioneer CD player. Of course those will be upgraded someday too.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard many good things about the Head Direct EF1 and the K-701/2. I'm also seriously considering it for my K-702s. I'm just about to pull the trigger on it. It's only $299 + plush shipping of course, from Head-Direct.com.

Yup, EF1 is great with my K701's. Right tube is the key however; it can sound awful with certain tubes while sounding great with some. I'm using a Tungsram tube with it right now (which extends the top and bottom end while leaving the middle uncoloured) and enjoying it a lot.

I've also tried the Shanling and it matches the K701's very well. Haven't heard the Canamp but the compatibility with that seems to be great as well.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Maybe the EF-1 I tried out didn't have the right set of tubes, because I didn't think that it was anything special with the 701, and that seems to be against the general consensus. Diffrnt ears.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think of the Little Dot MKIII?

I've also been doing a lot of research on an amp that would pair well with the K-701/2, and I'll share with you from what I've found. These are some of the opinions that I've seen in multiple threads.

I've read in many threads that an all-out tube amp does not pair well with the K-701/2 because of their high output impedance. Transformer coupled tube amps (like the higher end Woo amps), on the other hand do very well with the K-701/2. I've also read a couple negative reviews on the LD MKIII paired with K-701/2. Many of the amps that I've seen recommended for the K-701/2 are either Solid state (like the Heed) or Hybrids (like the EF1 or X-Can V8). Again, these are all opinions that I've read on multiple threads and not everyone may agree with them.

Hope this helps.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 14
I didn't like the mk III with the K701 when I had both. Their lack of synergy was probably the main thing that drove me to completely reconstruct my rig. Just don't use an otl tube amp with low Z phones.

The reason you don't want an otl amp, as a general rule (excluding super high end/high output OTL amps like the zana which power pretty much any phones fine) is because otl amps have high output impedance. When paired with low z phones, this causes an impedance mismatch, which leads to all sorts of undesirable consequences. You lose a lot of the output power the amp can provide, which is especially an issue with current hungry low Z phones. You also get an annoying midbass hump and, IMO, some loss of detail.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think of the Little Dot MKIII?

My setup is Macbook--->d10 Dac--->Little Dot mkIII--->k701s and I absolutely love it. I only have about 80+ hours on the LD and have started to roll tubes which is great fun - lots of tube choices to really pair well with your K701s. After I bought my mkIII I emailed David from Little Dot about the k701s as I was going to buy them from another Head-fier and here's his reply:

"The Little Dot MK III will pair very well with the K701s as they are among the many headphones we use during design, and actually are a favorite of mine. The K701s are probably the second or third most common headphone Little Dot owners are pairing with (above that would be the Senn HD600/650s)."

For what it's worth - just another opinion. I've heard the same things as stated about the LD/k701 synergy but I really am ecstatic about my choice and the price and service are phenomenal.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the EF-1 I tried out didn't have the right set of tubes, because I didn't think that it was anything special with the 701, and that seems to be against the general consensus. Diffrnt ears.

I also had the same finding with the EF-1/701 combination with the RCA cleartop tube. It wasn't a great pairing - just passable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back