Amp to pair with AKG K601s
Oct 10, 2006 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to know what the best options are for an affordable (portable if possible) amp to compliment the AKG K601s. I don't want to spend more than $100 and would rather it be closer to $50 if possible.

So far I'm looking at:
- Little Dot Micro+
- PA2V2
- Cmoy
- Go-Vibe
- Z-Audio Epsilon

If there are any other notable options in my range, feel free to add them. I'd like to know how these amps will affect the sound of course. I listen to a wide range of electronic and rock music as well as some orchestral and jazz, so I would like to be able to handle it all well. Is this asking too much? You tell me Head-Fi!

Thanks.

edit: added Go-Vibe and Z-Audio amps because they're in my price range and have gotten good attention.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Sorry that I cannot offer much in the way of suggestions in your price range, but as a former K601 owner I would recommend getting something with a lot of power. They are hard to drive no matter that their impedance rating is 120 ohms.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Ok, now I'm thinking about the Xenos OHA-RHP (or REP) vs. the GoVibe v5 vs. the Z-Audio Epsilon. Heard neither the PA2V2 nor LDM+ worked with the high end AKGs well.

Hmm... this is gonna be tough.

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 8
I would have to agree. I have an AKG501 and my pimeta does an excellent job of driving them.

Cheers,
580smile.gif

Jason

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by radicalrev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to bring this thread up...

do you guys think the Zero DAC/AMP will work well with the K601?

Nope. Look elsewhere. The Zero is not good at driving AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back