Amp to match to my Playstation 1 source
Sep 4, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spanky

Head-Fier
Hey folks, looking for some insight for my problem here. I recently purchased a first model/generation Playstation 1 to use as my CD source. These are supposed to compare to $4000 cd players as some have reviewed over at 6moons and other sites. I can attest to the fact that the PS1 is by far the best CD source I have ever come across, and this thing is powerfull!!! I've got it hooked-up to my Shellbrooke Labs Ascent signature series amp and mostly listen to my 600s in this rig. The 600s are a power thirsty pair compared to my 225s, but even there the output power of the PS1 is just too loud for easy listening, I can't turn the volume knob past 8 o'clock (at 7 o'clock the sound is completely turned off). And here's my problem: at these low volume levels, my amp plays the left side louder than the right side. I don't know if it's a design flaw or if all non-balanced amps are like that, I would just like to get some suggestions as to which amp I can pair with this powerfull source to enable me to listen at reasonable levels while being well matched with my Senns.

I think I've just developped another upgraditis...

Thanks

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks, looking for some insight for my problem here. I recently purchased a first model/generation Playstation 1 to use as my CD source. These are supposed to compare to $4000 cd players as some have reviewed over at 6moons and other sites. I can attest to the fact that the PS1 is by far the best CD source I have ever come across, and this thing is powerfull!!! I've got it hooked-up to my Shellbrooke Labs Ascent signature series amp and mostly listen to my 600s in this rig. The 600s are a power thirsty pair compared to my 225s, but even there the output power of the PS1 is just too loud for easy listening, I can't turn the volume knob past 8 o'clock (at 7 o'clock the sound is completely turned off). And here's my problem: at these low volume levels, my amp plays the left side louder than the right side. I don't know if it's a design flaw or if all non-balanced amps are like that, I would just like to get some suggestions as to which amp I can pair with this powerfull source to enable me to listen at reasonable levels while being well matched with my Senns.

I think I've just developped another upgraditis...

Thanks

Wow, I was beginning to think I was the only one that uses a gaming console as the music source. I use my 60GB PS3 as my CD player and it's a pretty poweful sound source, at least when paired with my LDII++ amp. How much powerful? I'm not too sure since I really don't have any other high end Cd players around my house to compare it with.

Anyways, my amp does that, too, but at only very low volume levels. But when I turn it up to normal listening levels, the sound gets back to normal. I guess most amps are like that. I'm not too sure, I'm not much of an expert, but I just wanted to note that my amp kinda does the same thing, only at very low volumes, but it's not really a problem when turned up at normal levels.
cool.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 14
uh..PS1 is really nothing special, you go buy one of the Toshiba DVD player for like $40 and its about the same in SQ
wink.gif

do yourself a favor and get a real CDP
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Dude, not to be rude but to say that about the first gen PS1, you obviously don't know much about it. They were the only ones to have RCA connection on the back of the unit (so you can use your own aftermarket interconnects), they have completely different inards then the subsequent models, the DAC was much better etc. Sony put in a lot of R&D and money for top quality parts into this unit to make sure its first release would be that good. Afterwards, they only concentrated on being able to manufacture the units in a more cost efficient way, thus changing a lot of the original electronic parts and straying further from their original high quality product. I don't know if I'm the only one here using this as a source, I'd sure like to get another member's feedback from experience.

Do yourself a favor
wink.gif
and take that $40 and get one off of ebay. They can still be had for around $40 (used to be $20 but then the word got out a bit more and demand has started going up). Then you'll be able to say you sampled one and that you prefer your Toshiba DVD player instead (which might be true, can't argue with taste...)

My search for a cdp source is over for many many moons...

On another note, glad to hear that my amp is not the only one doing this at low volume levels. Is that the difference between a balanced amp and a non-balanced amp? Always been wondering that...

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 14
OK, guys, don't be jerks about it. I, too, have read that the first generation, big square Playstation systems have amazing sound quality.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstati...m--32269.phtml

Before you start raining on his parade, at least take 5 minutes to look into what he's talking about. 30 seconds on Google produced this article. At least read it and give the guy the benefit of the doubt before you go insulting his intelligence. If you've heard one in person, then weigh in on how you liked it. If you've never heard one, don't tell the guy he's stupid for trying it. If he likes it, then it's good enough, and probably on par or better than any other $40 CDP out there.

And for the record, it's not "aN 1st"... it's "a first"... Maybe you should learn how to type before you call someone else an idiot...

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 14
It is not uncommon for consumer grade amps to not track L channel to R channel perfectly at very low volumes. Some CDP's and VDP's had issues with having too hot of a line level output for some pre-amp inputs. The easy solution for this problem is to purchase a couple in line attenuators. I bought a couple pair for a project about a year ago from Parts Express. Let me see if I can dig up a link for you...

Here we go:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....up_ID=725&SO=2

266-230t.jpg

You can go with the inexpensive one like this or ...

266-242t.jpg

The more expensive version.

I would recommend trying the 6db attenuators either way and see if that solves your problem.

By the way, this has nothing to do with a "balanced" or "unbalanced" amp.

Best of luck!

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, guys, don't be jerks about it. I, too, have read that the first generation, big square Playstation systems have amazing sound quality.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstati...m--32269.phtml

Before you start raining on his parade, at least take 5 minutes to look into what he's talking about. 30 seconds on Google produced this article. At least read it and give the guy the benefit of the doubt before you go insulting his intelligence. If you've heard one in person, then weigh in on how you liked it. If you've never heard one, don't tell the guy he's stupid for trying it. If he likes it, then it's good enough, and probably on par or better than any other $40 CDP out there.

And for the record, it's not "aN 1st"... it's "a first"... Maybe you should learn how to type before you call someone else an idiot...

o.k. if you insist your PS1 is like a $4000 CDP, who am I to disagree with you
wink.gif

yes read that article many many months ago, when it was all the rage; ppl then found out, me included, that PS1 is nothing special. That article just produces a lot of hot air like all the other supposedly super-giant-killer reviews
biggrin.gif

I have in fact a square PS1 (yes the same model stated in that article), and it is in fact a mediocre source at best (probably better than the round PS1). I have relegated back to the duty of playing PS1 games ...LOL

If you can stretch, get yourself something from either NAD, Marantz, CA, Music Hall used in the $200 price range. yes they will blow that little PS1 away
k1000smile.gif

Like I said, been there, done that, time to move on.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o.k. if you insist your PS1 is like a $4000 CDP, who am I to disagree with you
wink.gif

yes read that article many many months ago, when it was all the rage; ppl then found out, me included, that PS1 is nothing special. That article just produces a lot of hot air like all the other supposedly super-giant-killer reviews
biggrin.gif

I have in fact a square PS1 (yes the same model stated in that article), and it is in fact a mediocre source at best (probably better than the round PS1). I have relegated back to the duty of playing PS1 games ...LOL

If you can stretch, get yourself something from either NAD, Marantz, CA, Music Hall used in the $200 price range. yes they will blow that little PS1 away
k1000smile.gif

Like I said, been there, done that, time to move on.

Why all the TC? Why not just answer the guy's question?

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Post I was refering to got deleted.

On another hand, thanks kwkarth for your suggestion about the attenuators, I'll give that a try.

Can someone send me a PM just to explain to me briefly what are balanced and unbalanced amps? (so not to get off topic here)

Thanks

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Spanky, the answer to your questions is in post #6

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why all the TC? Why not just answer the guy's question?

that's a good point; no reason to give advise when advise is not sought.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are supposed to compare to $4000 cd players as some have reviewed over at 6moons and other sites.

I'm not saying that this isn't possible, since I haven't heard it, but I wouldn't use 6moons as your backup. They've got a reputation for saying that everything they get ahold of is the best they've ever heard, including a bottle of rocks--http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur...3/edge3_2.html

I think they're just a cleverly designed marketing website for the most part. Just my opinion
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 14
lol you do know the orignal artical proffesing the ps1 as an awsome sound source was actualy an april fools, I rember reading it a few years back. I guess some people have taken it seriously. The ps1 is nothing special and uses obsolete DAC design which is only capable of a presison of 12bits and not the full 16bit presison of a cd player. It's not utter cack though and is better than most portable cd players. Early NAD cd players are very good if you can get one cheap (and presumbly later ones) there is one downstairs from 1987ish and it's very good.

As for your amp it's gain is too great find a service manual and post a scematic and I may be able to help.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for your amp it's gain is too great find a service manual and post a scematic and I may be able to help.

Spanky, just get the 3.95 6db attenuators man, and be done with it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back