Amp to match D2000/Micro DAC
Dec 10, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mace2

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently got my first good pair of headphones (Denon D2000) and my first DAC (Headroom Micro DAC). Just looking for opinions on a good first amp!

My budget is $200-$300. I prefer buying used to save $$, but I know that's not always an option.

I listen to a lot of different music, though mostly upbeat (rock, eletronic, some pop/hip-hop).

Ones I sort of have in mind from some searching: used Head-direct EF-1, Audio-gd C2C.

I don't have a chance to test out any unfortunately, so I'm just taking a shot in the dark here. If it doesn't work for me I can just sell it again.

Anywho, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 11
your on the right track. You can't go wrong with either the C2C or the Ef1. The Ef1 is discontinued though so you have to look the FS forums to find it.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 11
HeadRoom Micro, you already have the DAC and the stack matches VERY well with the D series of headphones (HeadRoom products in general match well with it).

Other good options are Audio-GD Compass (which IMO exceeds the HR Micro stack at a much cheaper price), but you already have a DAC so that won't work. Another match up that will take you over budget is the Audio-GD C2C and DAC19MK3.

But yeah, since you already have the HeadRoom DAC, get the matching amp, like I said they pair VERY well with the D2Ks (speaking from personal experience).

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom Micro, you already have the DAC and the stack matches VERY well with the D series of headphones (HeadRoom products in general match well with it).

Other good options are Audio-GD Compass (which IMO exceeds the HR Micro stack at a much cheaper price), but you already have a DAC so that won't work. Another match up that will take you over budget is the Audio-GD C2C and DAC19MK3.

But yeah, since you already have the HeadRoom DAC, get the matching amp, like I said they pair VERY well with the D2Ks (speaking from personal experience).

The compass looks quite nice, but I'd like to keep my amp/DAC separate for a more flexible upgrade path. I also worry about the "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing.

Good idea about the Micro Amp. I guess that's a pretty obvious one! I'll do some research. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 11
x2 on the micro amp. headroom gear goes excelent together.
and ofcourse the EF1 is very good with denon also. get the headroom if you want more dynamic,farward, typical ss presentation, or the EF1 for a more relaxed (but still ss sounding) signature, it depends on the tube ofcourse.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 11
i've had the micro amp and micro dac for about 2 years, and the d2000 for about 3 days. they sound wonderful together, and you really won't find a better *looking* match for your micro dac than the micro amp.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The compass looks quite nice, but I'd like to keep my amp/DAC separate for a more flexible upgrade path. I also worry about the "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing.

Yeah, I understand that and I wasn't recommending you pick one up, I was just mentioning that it is an excellent choice here so that people looking for an answer won't have to make a new post.

As for the "jack of all trades, master of none" comment, usually I would say that that applies, but in this case, the Compass tends to perform better than separate amps and DACs as well as combos that are over twice it's price. It really is a fantastic deal.

Personally I've compared it to the HeadRoom Desktop (same thing as the Micro Amp/DAC stack in a different box and more expensive at $1000), and I couldn't really decide which I preferred, I think I liked the Compass more to be honest, but kept the Desktop as it is more flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back