Amp Synergy with Ety 4P/S
Dec 13, 2003 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, my purchase of ety 4p and amp has been delayed again (that damn mortgage company wants money EVERY month, the bastards!). So this gives me a bit of time (and a bit more money) for an amp.

I will be using this mostly at my desk at work (where I do most of my music listening). Portability isn't a must, as long as it fairly totable (aka doesn't weigh 50lbs
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Here are ones I am considering:

*Gilmore V2 Lite
*JMT Home or Transportable
*Headsave MiniMe or Elite SL

I am open to other suggestions. My music preferences are kind of all over the place (One day I am listening to classical, the next Swedish Death Metal), so a good "all arounder" to go with the etys is what I am looking for.

My sources are:

*Sony D-33 PCDP
*Creative Zen Xtra
*Thinkpad T20

Thanks
Scott

Jun 6, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Hey I'll bump this now, anyone have any thoughts on good amp syngery for the etys, from various sources. Luggable would would be nice (since my listening primarily happen at home and work).
etysmile.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 12
I've used the Etys with the Gilmore V2 a lot, it's my work rig and the combination is excellent, the synergy is first-rate. I can't comment on the other amps, but I think you'll be very heappy with the Gilmroe.

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I've used the Etys with the Gilmore V2 a lot, it's my work rig and the combination is excellent, the synergy is first-rate. I can't comment on the other amps, but I think you'll be very heappy with the Gilmroe.

That's right, You were nice enought to alsoe compare the Gilmore Lite as well, that may be a nice selection for work. Thanks. BTW What do you use for a work source?

Scott

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Sometimes I use the Emmeline HR-2 with the Ety's. I think they make the Ety's sound great.

I've used the HR-2 with the Ety also but they aren't as good in the deep bass as the Gilmores are. The Gilmores just have lots of synergy with the Etys.

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
That's right, You were nice enought to alsoe compare the Gilmore Lite as well, that may be a nice selection for work. Thanks. BTW What do you use for a work source?

I use a Panasonic DVD-LA95 which is a portable CD/DVD/DVD-Audio player. While the sound quality when amplifed is excellent, it's probably overkill. I had it sitting around since someone bought it for me. I'm looking at Hard Disc MP3 players now and deciding on one which is what I will probably be going with in the future.

Jun 7, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I use a Panasonic DVD-LA95 which is a portable CD/DVD/DVD-Audio player. While the sound quality when amplifed is excellent, it's probably overkill. I had it sitting around since someone bought it for me. I'm looking at Hard Disc MP3 players now and deciding on one which is what I will probably be going with in the future.

I only have experience with 2 HD players, Zen Xtra (A bit forward but detailed, nice bass and battery life, not sure on the build quality...mine died after about 5 months of pretty gentle use) and the ipod (warmer than than the Xtra, sound is nice but a BIT lacking in the bass dept....when I listen to some things I have encoded in Apple Lossless it just totally blows my mind, it also has a line out, which the Xtra lacks).

Scott

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 12
I've heard the Ety's with a Melos and Gilmore (carlo hotrodded v1) and can't say I liked one better than the other. I always used the 'S' cable with the ER4, so it's always been a bit overly neutral sounding due to the less prominent bass response. The Melos warms them up a bit, and has a great sense of space and air, and is a kickin' combo, IMO. I really liked the Gilmore with the Ety's too, as it was very resolving and transparent (a bit moreso than the Melos) albeit it had a slightly diminished soundstage and everything sounded a bit less beefy than with the Melos, as is to be expected with SS. But both amps have admirable qualities with the Ety's, depends on what you like. I haven't heard them with a PPA, so I can't comment there. I use the Ety's mostly for portable use, and right now I've got then hooked up to a CHA-47 Penguin amp (remember those from the old days of Head-Fi, before the time of META42's and PiMetas and PPA's!??) and it still sounds d@mn good.

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 12
I think we might be going over his price range, I think the amps he has listed are a lot less than the V2, Melos or HR-2. I only mentioned the V2 since he mentioned the Lite.

Jun 9, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Since the mortgage company is turning out to be such a poor sport, you can start with the Ety 4P without an amp. Mine works fine hooked up directly to a Sony D-EJ2000 Discman - which is a great CD player but hardly a powerhouse.

The amp becomes more of a necessity with the 4S or P->S converter. But even with the converter, my Ety is noticeably easier to drive than my Senn 580. In my humble opinion, any well-engineered mid-level amp will do fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back