AMP suggestions or Humming help
Feb 22, 2005 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rendell

New Head-Fier
Ok... I'm Having a problem.

I have an amp I bought sometime ago. I have a hum though this amp.
confused.gif
I was told it was a grounding problem and not the fault of the amp. But from what I can see everything is grounded corredtly.

The amp is a Cordia Headamp-1 hooked to a Marantz SR7200 AV Receiver. I have the rca cord from the amp going to the headphone jack with an adapter. Could not figure out how to hook it up any other way and stil have amp get signal full time.

I use my Senn. HD590 ( 120 ohm ) and AKG K271 Studio ( 55 ohm ) cans with it.

Any thought on how to fix the humm issue? I'm thinking of replace the amp thinking it has a problem. Any suggestions on a replacement amp also? Was looking at Wooaudio 3.

Thanks for any help given.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 5
I think that the Corda amps has ground loop breaker included in the circuit, so IMO it is not a ground problem, try to float the ground to see if this helps (using a cheater plug) but I don't think this is the reason of the hum.

Instead of thinking in replacing the amp why not dropping an email to Jan Meier before, his customer service is top notch....

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 5
It was Jan who told me it was a grounding problem.
rolleyes.gif
Did not give any help or suggestions to fix the problem.

What do you mean by floating the ground?
confused.gif

Sorry for my lack of knowage.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rendell
It was Jan who told me it was a grounding problem.
rolleyes.gif
Did not give any help or suggestions to fix the problem.

What do you mean by floating the ground?
confused.gif

Sorry for my lack of knowage.

If the amp has a ground loop breaker built in (as it does) it should be no problems with the amp unless the hum is in another place (source) Check that first, that is not the source what is making the hum (using another amp), after that if you are 100% sure that is not the source, then get one of those three to two prong adapters for AC, and hook it into the end of the AC power cord and insert it into the AC outlet, this way you remove the ground from the AC cord to be connected to the outlet via the power cord, or simply take one of those cable and remove the grouhnd pin with a plier (get an extra computer cable you may have around not the original cable OK?) if the hum persist, send it to be checked by him, there is a problem in the amp.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back