Amp Suggestions for Zhaolu D2?
Jul 1, 2006 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alex_cs

100+ Head-Fier
Gday all, I have actually been a member since about 2001, but have only recently really taken an interest in hifi. my old acct wasnt letting me post, so i created a new one
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, ive done a fair bit of reading, and im just wondering in terms of amping the zhaolu D2 (cs4398 + cap upgrades):

in respect to, has anyone compared the discrete amp upgrade to a full amp like the GS-1, or the new headfive? Im very impressed with the zhaolu, but the standard headphone amp is not up to the task.

so yeah, in terms of amps like the headfive, gs-1, gilmore lite, etc, do they offer a great deal more over the discrete amp mod?

im considering adding an hd600/650 and/or a K701 shortly, so would appreciate feedback on which amp would best suit these phones in general. im not after perfection, just something with good power that doesnt colour the dacs output too much.

a price range of up to 400USD would probably be my target max, but am open to suggestions if there is a better option.

thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 5
i should have mentioned i currently have an NAD C320BEE connected to the dac running some old kenwood speakers, which seems to have quite a solid headphone amp on it, but to my ears seems to add a little too much bass (as opposed to too little from the zhaolu)

anyone else here (probably aussies) had that amp and/or experience with it?

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you been reading Vic's big shootout thread? There is a great amp which he has resently used in that shootout that is for the price something that you may want to check out. "Original Master is a very small Chinese solid state amp, available in the USA for $195."

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180573

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs

im considering adding an hd600/650 and/or a K701 shortly, so would appreciate feedback on which amp would best suit these phones in general. im not after perfection, just something with good power that doesnt colour the dacs output too much.

a price range of up to 400USD would probably be my target max, but am open to suggestions if there is a better option.

thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 5
yes there is a great supplier in australia that sells the original master, but i havent heard a great deal about it. ill give the gs-1 a red hot go first, it sounds great, not that i have a lot to compare to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back