Amp Suggestions for Grado RS-1?
Dec 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Since I more or less determined that the RA-1 is not for me, and while my Perreaux SXH1 is good but not spectacular, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for an amp to pair up with the RS-1's. The reason I wasn't digging the RA-1 was because I didn't feel it to be "fluid" enough, and I thought that it emphasized the higher end while sacrificing some of the lower end. I've read about the Blueberry Audio (althought I can't find a website for them??), about the Maple Tree Purist (but that's skirting the too-expensive line) as well as the Gilmore Lite. I'd listen to all sorts of music, from classic rock to Electronica to Ambient to Classical and Jazz. I like the RS-1 because of their forwardness/warmth combination.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if this amp sounded decent with HD650's, although that's not a requirement.

Thanks!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 13
I just took the plunge into tubes by ordering a PPX3-Slam but I've been using my RS-1s with a Gilmore Lite and have enjoyed the combination. You might want to ask about an M3 also, especially if you're looking for something a little more fluid.

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 13
I liked both RS-1 and HD650 out of Gilmore Lite, there should be a review on it in the Featured Review section. I find Lite to be fast, clean, and tight. It is really a good buy in its price range. MAD Ear+ Purist HD is another amp that matches really well with Grados in general and at times I've tried it, I've liked it better than my Lite, but it also costs twice that of Lite.

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I just took the plunge into tubes by ordering a PPX3-Slam but I've been using my RS-1s with a Gilmore Lite and have enjoyed the combination. You might want to ask about an M3 also, especially if you're looking for something a little more fluid.

I second Singlepower! Your really can't go wrong with a Singlepower amp, especially with Grado.

With that said, I'm still a big fan of the RS-1/RA-1 combo.

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 13
The Gilmore Lite is an excellent budget choice. I like the Mapletree ear+ with the grados a little better yet. But I think the SLAM ppx3 bests them all. Furthermore, the SLAM ppx3 is much better sounding with the senns than the ear+ ..... as always IMO.
600smile.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703

An M3? Pardon the ignorance but what's that?

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 13
I didn't make any audition comparison between EMP and any other amps. I was told that EarMax Pro match perfectly with RS1. then I tried my friend's RS1 on EMP. This combo sounds awesome for me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 13
I would suggest the current version of the Raptor. It takes some of the edge off of the treble.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 13
I already have the Perreaux SXH1. I wouldn't want to get anything of "less quality" than that, because that wouldn't make sense to me. Yet I doubt I would be able to afford something as nice as The Raptor. I would have to keep my budget to $500 or less (unless a miracle happens!).

Obviously this is a subjective question, but is the Gilmore Lite (or the Blueberry Audio Emotion) a sidestep from the SXH1, or a step up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back