AMP Suggestions For DT770 Pro 250 < $100
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ColinC

New Head-Fier
     The title pretty much states it all! I'm currently running a pair of DT770 Pro 250's and I absolutely love the sound they produce. I run them through my Lenovo T520 laptop when at home, and my iPhone 4s while tripping around. I listen to mostly:

Indie / Indie pop / Indie rock / Indie chill / Indie alternative
Dubstep
Chillstep
Atmospheric / Chillout
Acoustic covers
D&B
Rap
Pop

As you can see above, the majority of my music preference can be categorized as easy listening, mellowed out music, with a bit of added pop and rap. When listening to chilled out music I appreciate the deep, tight lows and a reasonably flat frequency response (which is why I purchased the DT770's) that doesn't accentuate the higher end frequencies too much, as well as a wide soundstage. The DT770's perform very well in each of these categories, but I feel as though the low bass could be accentuated a tad more. The same goes for Dubstep and Rap, as the bass is pretty important for me in these genres.

Taking the above into considering, are there any amps that would be a good fit for these cans and could possibly bring out the bass a bit more while keeping the sound clean and well balanced? I haven't looked too much into amps except for the Fiio series, which seem to be recommended quite a bit around here. One thing I'm worried about is the bass becoming muddy / distorted and I would like to stay away from this as much as possible.

Also, I'd prefer the amp to be fairly portable and not completely designed for stationary home use, since I would like to possible carry it around with me when I go out. This is negotiable though, if any of you could convince me that a stationary amp is a better choice 
tongue.gif
. Thanks in advance for the responses I'm sure you will all provide! This site is great! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-Mini-Chargeable-JRC5532-battery-portable-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-/110808760241?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item19ccb77fb1
I'm considering this one, no idea if it's any good but if you look close the brand is Longxi. There was a used sale earlier on the forum.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-Mini-Chargeable-JRC5532-battery-portable-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-/110808760241?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item19ccb77fb1
I'm considering this one, no idea if it's any good but if you look close the brand is Longxi. There was a used sale earlier on the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion, but there's next to no information on this amplifier and the seller doesn't even list it's features or how many Ohms of impedance it can handle. Also I don't see any bass EQ's or modes of that sort, which is kind of upsetting. Thanks anyways for the suggestion.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
pa2v2 works really well.  i am considering getting a c5 or o2/odac.  still learning a lot but enjoying the same headphones you have in the meantime.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm still not quite sure whether i should be looking at a DAC/AMP combo like the E10 or a more portable standalone amp like the E11. The thing is, I use my headphones 80% + of the time on my little laptop. Since my laptop has a crappy integrated sound card, I feel like it would benefit more from the dac/amp combo, rather than just the amp.. Any thoughts on this? I'm still only learning too about this stuff, so any help will be appreciated!

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Are you on the go alot with your laptop or do you keep it in one place alot of the time? If it's the latter, you could get a Schiit Magni now then ask for a Modi for your birthday or the holidays. All you'd need is a headphone to rca y-splitter. They run each $100 USD.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Are you on the go alot with your laptop or do you keep it in one place alot of the time? If it's the latter, you could get a Schiit Magni now then ask for a Modi for your birthday or the holidays. All you'd need is a headphone to rca y-splitter. They run each $100 USD.

Well i'm in school, so I always have my laptop on me (my university requires it). I carry it it around in my bag form class to class. The thing is, I would only be listening to my headphones on my laptop when I'm studying or when I'm in my room. Never in class. For on-the-go purposes, I would be listening to them through my iPhone (which is why I'm considering more of a portable amp such as an E11). 

I'm starting to lean more towards purchasing a stationary AMP / DAC combo like the E10, since most of my enjoyable listening time will be while i'm stationary. Having said that, how would an amp/dac combo such as the Fiio E10 compare to an individual component setup like the Schiit Magni as an AMP and a Schiit Modi as a DAC? I know purchasing each component separately would be much more expensive, but I'm guessing they would provide better performance and a cleaner sound since they focus on each thing individually., correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back