amp suggestions for dt-880 and cans to come
Sep 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
I have DT-880 (250 ohm) on the way, but I have nothing in the way of amplification. I also have nothing in the way of amp knowledge.
smily_headphones1.gif

My budget is around 400-450 for the amp itself. It is definitely a desktop amp I am after, I will be using the optical out on my x-fi prelude to connect to it. I have never used high end phones with an amp before (havent really used high end phones period unless you count the hd595 and the ad700) so I'm open to solid state and tubes, if that would make a difference.

any suggestions? I was thinking about the gilmore lite, but have no idea if that would be a good amp to get.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by andychen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with dt880, I will choose tube amps for sure, check out little dot amps, darkvoice or music fidelity x-can. You will be happy with either of them

thanks for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

of the 3, the thing that would probably sway me the most is the lowest shipping costs i can find. I have seen plenty of little dots on ebay but dont really trust them because of things in the past. Anyone know any retailers in the CONUS that would carry any of these amps? My google-fu seems to be a bit rusty.

Also, I need a DAC so I can use the optical on my soundcard. are there any high quality inexpensive DACs I might try before I get a decently high end one? trying to keep the total between the amp and dac under 500.

edit: Also, if anyone on this forum is selling one of those amps on ebay, let me know
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm checking the for sale area and I'm about to post one looking for them myself, but if you find me before I find you, please, let me know
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back