Amp suggestions for DT 770 Pros
Jul 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Mansize_tissue

100+ Head-Fier
I'm probably going to buy a pair of Beyer DT 770 (80 ohm) Pros soon, and i'm interested in getting a small amplifier. I was wondering what you guys would recommend, in the sub-£60 price range. It's probably asking a lot, but this is really all i'm willing to spend; after all, the headphones are only £80.

Is there anything here that would work OK? The Behringer MICROMON MA400, for example.

These are going to be used for pretty much gaming only, if this is of any help. Thank you.

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 35
The MA400 will certainly enhance your listening experience. It boosted the bass on my Senn HD280s very well without distorting the sound in any way whatsoever. If you're listening from your PC this little amp will serve you well. It sounds ideal for your needs.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Fourth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MA400 will certainly enhance your listening experience. It boosted the bass on my Senn HD280s very well without distorting the sound in any way whatsoever. If you're listening from your PC this little amp will serve you well. It sounds ideal for your needs.

Thank you for your reply. At this price, i may well get it! Although, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 35
BUMP.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm probably going to buy a pair of Beyer DT 770 (80 ohm) Pros soon, and i'm interested in getting a small amplifier. I was wondering what you guys would recommend, in the sub-£60 price range. It's probably asking a lot, but this is really all i'm willing to spend; after all, the headphones are only £80.

Is there anything here that would work OK? The Behringer MICROMON MA400, for example.

These are going to be used for pretty much gaming only, if this is of any help. Thank you.

In my experience, even simple Cmoys help bring out the DT770 sound that they are famous for.

I had good experience with Headroom's Total Bithead + DT770. To save some money, you could go with the Total Airhead which is the same as the Bithead, minus the USB DAC.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 35
Would this sort of this be good, or maybe this?

It would be better if i could get a non-portable amplifier which i could just plug into the wall, because charging batteries often will probably get on my nerves.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, i can't seem to find these headroom amps anywhere in the UK.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Would this sort of this be good, or maybe this?

It would be better if i could get a non-portable amplifier which i could just plug into the wall, because charging batteries often will probably get on my nerves.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, i can't seem to find these headroom amps anywhere in the UK.

I can definitely recommend the first amp you linked to. Alan.kd on Ebay makes some tidy Cmoy amps. You should email him about adding a DC jack so you don't need to swap batteries. On the other hand, a battery should last a long time in this amp, so you wouldn't really need to change them often.

Also, don't forget that my original recommendation (the Headroom Total Airhead) can be powered with a DC power supply. Further, the Total Bithead can be powered with USB.

Good luck,
GTP

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 35
Thanks again. I emailed the seller, hopefully he'll get back to me.

I really can't find those headroom amplifiers anywhere in the UK at all; does anybody know if they're sold here?

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 35
I decided not to get that cMoy amplifier, since i want something better. I have a budget of around £100 (i can't really justify spending any more on £80 headphones).

I'm looking for an amplifier, which can be delivered to the UK, and can preferably be powered by something other than just batteries. While a battery powered amplifier would be OK, it would just mean i have to charge the batteries every so often. Whereas one with a DC jack which i could connect to the mains, or maybe even one which can be USB powered, would be preferred.

I've been looking at the Go-Vibe V6, which i can get delivered to the UK, with a 9.6v NiMH battery, for $85 (£50 ish). I'd then need to buy a power supply, which is another £20. By the way, what are the power supply requirements for this amplifier? I mean, i've looked on their website, i just don't know if the power supplies i've been looking at will be ok. I'm guessing it has to be regulated, right, but what's the wattage and amperage requirements? Would any of these power supplies be ok?

What are my other options? I would like an amplifier which will work on the bass of these cans because, at the moment, there really isn't all that much running from my X-Fi. Speaking of that, i want to keep EAX effects, and so on, so a USB DAC isn't really option; i just thought i'd point that out. One more thing, these are going to be used for gaming, fps mainly, which is why i'd prefer more bass (if this helps rule out a few amplifiers which don't do much for the bass).

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 35
Other options:
- Porta Corda MkIII for 125 euros (from the meier audio website, specials section). It can be run from a power supply.

- Little Dot MK I for 120 dollars (plus shipping) from eBay - this is a new one, so as far as I know no-one here has one yet. It has a built-in rechargeable battery.

For the best value, look at the amplifiers for sale section of this forum. Not many of the sellers are UK-based, but portable amps are easy enough to ship internationally. If you're willing to hang around there long enough, something will come up.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 35
Thank you for your reply, Henry. Do you think the 2 amplifiers you mentioned would be better than the Go-Vibe V6? Also, how do the Total Airhead and Total Bithead compare to these?

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 35
I've never heard the Go-Vibe, but going on what I've read (especially from Skylab's and mrarroyo's recent review threads) it ranks slightly below the Porta Corda in terms of quality. Both of those are bargains though - the Go-Vibe used to be $100, while the Porta Corda was 140 euros. The Porta Corda should be the better amp, but the Go-Vibe is better value.

The old portable little dot amp, was... OK. The new one should be better, but how much better is anyone's guess.

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 35
Would you mind pointing me in the direction of these reviews please?

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 35
Aug 5, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Thank you for your reply, Henry. Do you think the 2 amplifiers you mentioned would be better than the Go-Vibe V6? Also, how do the Total Airhead and Total Bithead compare to these?

The Go-Vibes are fine entry level amps and are a good value. If the price is right for you, go for it.

The Meier amps are a considerable step up in performance, but also in price. The sale price on the PortaCorda MkIII makes it very attactive and it should be considered.

The Headroom amps are IMO tremendous quality and value. The Total Airhead/Bithead is a fine amp, with good sound and build quality. My Total Bithead drove my DT770s with authority. I sold it only because I didn't need an amp/dac combo.

If you can afford it, just choose whichever you like more between the PortaCorda and the Total Airhead. If not, buy the Go-Vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back