Amp suggestion for Stax needed!
Aug 13, 2001 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Uncle Hank

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Got this site from a member of a Dutch hifi site www.hear.nl

My Stax Lambda Pro is departed to my bedroom and now I need an amp to get music from it. My cd-player is here a Sony cdp557esd and I don't have to connect speakers with the amp.

Do you have a suggestion for an suitable amp?

Greetz, Hank
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 18
I take it you only have the headset the, right? you'll need a dedicated electrostat amp now. aside from Stax, Headroom makes one, but they're in the US..

nicest would be if you can get your hands on a Stax amp, there are quite some. I don't know any decent Hi-Fi stores in Friesland, but you could go to Utrecht or something, there's quite some stores there. make a few phone calls to see if they sell the amps, take your cans with you and check a few out. I know HiFi Studio Wilbert (Utrecht) sells the Stax Basic and Classic systems and also sell the amps seperately IIRC (the portable amp annyway).

congrats with the purchase BTW, I had the opportunity to hear the Classic for a few minutes....wow
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
nicest would be if you can get your hands on a Stax amp, there are quite some. I don't know any decent Hi-Fi stores in Friesland, but you could go to Utrecht or something, there's quite some stores there. make a few phone calls to see if they sell the amps, take your cans with you and check a few out. I know HiFi Studio Wilbert (Utrecht) sells the Stax Basic and Classic systems and also sell the amps seperately IIRC (the portable amp annyway).

congrats with the purchase BTW, I had the opportunity to hear the Classic for a few minutes....wow
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm searching for secondhand, 'cause of the high prices for new ones. And indeed if I can get one of the Stax amps.... it would be perfect!

By the way, I bought the Stax back in '88 already and I've never been disappointed about my choice!

Greetz, Hank
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 18
Aug 13, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
so how do you really feel about DIY

Kinda evasive there man

hehehe

Rick

Rick,

No offence, but DIY is nothing for me. Several friends like DIY, but I've got other things to do/on my mind. Thereby I'm not technical at all.

Although it is often cheaper than buying a finished product, I'm not in for it.

Greetz, Hank
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
I guess I should have thrown a smily face in there dude,I really was joking
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Got me!
wink.gif

Greetz, Hank
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Hank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! It's been quite a while since I was here
blink.gif
but I bought me a SRM T1
smily_headphones1.gif
What a great investment
biggrin.gif

Talk about a bump from the grave...
tongue.gif

The T1 is a pretty good amp but you can also mod it easily and get even better performance. Replacing the connectors and input wiring is a very good start.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Hank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! It's been quite a while since I was here
blink.gif
but I bought me a SRM T1
smily_headphones1.gif
What a great investment
biggrin.gif

Great bump!
biggrin.gif

Congratulations with finally scoring a Stax amplifier (after 6 long years). I hope it will keep you happy for many years to come.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk about a bump from the grave...
tongue.gif

The T1 is a pretty good amp but you can also mod it easily and get even better performance. Replacing the connectors and input wiring is a very good start.

With my two left hands
blink.gif
Definitely not
plainface.gif

icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great bump!
biggrin.gif

Congratulations with finally scoring a Stax amplifier (after 6 long years). I hope it will keep you happy for many years to come.

I'm as happy as a man can be
cool.gif

In the mean time there are two serious head fi systems in my house
smily_headphones1.gif

Stax SRM- T1 with Lambda Professional
C.E.C. HD53R ver. 8.0 with Beyerdynamic DT 990 professional (the winner of a DT770/DT880/DT990 contest)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back