Amp Suggestion for E500
Dec 9, 2006 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what the hell...

Simple question: What's a good amp for the E500??

Rather, what's a good CHEAP amp for E500 (please don't say CMOY)..

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 14
E500 sounds great with my XIN SM3 V3; can't go wrong with any of XIN amps paired with the E500. He seems quite queued up at the moment (seems to be the usual case) so there's definitely a good wait time. Other choices point to any of Ray Samuels' portable units.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm using RSA Hornet with E500 at the moment, great combo! Slightly cheaper option will be the Tomahawk.

I'd also rule out Headroom Bithead, tried that, didn't work well.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I don't see amping IEM's as being worth the expense. I'd stick with running the IEM's from your portable and put the money into another aspect of your home rig. JMO.

IEM does have low impedance and can play out from the box, but SQ and sound resolution improve IMMENSELY from amping. I couldn't speak for IEMs I haven't heard, but for the E500s, not only did it benefit from amping, the amp I'm using now (the amp I was using before didn't) helped re-balance the trebles and the bass. That's how I see amping helps.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a thread worth reading -->
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196469
**seems like Xin amps didn't match up very well, but all the RSA amps sounded quite well with the E500s**

I still feel the E500 and Xin SuperMacro in it's default configuration are not the best match but opamp rolling goes a long way to sort that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Honestly, I don't see amping IEM's as being worth the expense. I'd stick with running the IEM's from your portable and put the money into another aspect of your home rig. JMO.

That may be true of some other IEMs but the E500s benefit a lot from amping in my experience. I wouldn't think twice about it, the difference really is significant.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Get the Hornet and don't look back. You've already spent big bucks for the e500's. Now get an amp that has great synergy with them, as well as many other headphones. Plus, unlike the Xin amps, you'll be dealing with a great guy who believes in customer service, and you'll get your amp fast.

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Well, I'm admittedly new to the whole head-fi scene, but I've owned Shure E2C's as my portable pair for quite some time (on the order of 2 years or so), and my relatively new PA2V2 made a dramatic improvement on quality.

At $60 shipped, I couldn't think of a better investment for better quality sound.

Can't wait until my Super.fi 5's come around
280smile.gif

(For Christmas, that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back